Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay...so I'm thinking about getting into cycling because I found this 85 or so Raleigh Gran Prix at a thrift store for 20 bucks...I knew it was a good deal, just cause the bike seemed light . I've done some research (Sheldon Brown and here) and it seems like this might be a good choice to get me started. Bike is in great shape. So I think I'm off to a good start....now the question is tho...since I've not regularly ridden a bike consistently in ages (47 atm)...is an older bike like this a good choice (i.e. shifters are on the down tube, older geometry) or should I use this as a trade in to get a lower end new road bike?

From the Sheldon Brown website..here's the specs:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/retroral...grandprix.html

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/retroraleighs/catalogs/1985/pages/2.html

Thanks in advance!

David

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
well... if you are just looking to ride, old bike are as good as new bikes. If you are looking for performance and to look cool, you will be in for a nasty ride. Upgrades are expensive. Period. You have an older bike, likely 6 or 7 speed. Most systems today are 9 or 10 speed...so modern parts, wheels, etc arent going to work on your bike very well, or at least not with some conversion... but thats assuming you want to upgrade. Upgrading a bike like that could get pricey.

However, if all you want to do is go ride on the mut, or here and there, or even longer rides... if the bike fits then go for it.

But if you think there is any chance whatsoever you will have ... gadget envy... and feel insecure when you are dropped from the group ride, etc and will seek out things to increase the "speed", comfort or usability of your bike... then I would say that it will be more economically feasible for you to just bite the bullet and get a more modern bike.

That being said, if the price is right, is there anything wrong with getting both? My thrift store find... I paid $20 for a 1983 Fuji Del Ray,and then converted it to a single speed. I use it for my commutes and rides on the multiuse trail and for those rides that I either dont need or dont want my geared bikes. So, you could get a new bike for your fast or group rides, and then this bike for your beater.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
Ride it

Two lines in your post jumped out at me:
I'm thinking about getting into cycling
Bike is in great shape.
That decides it. You don't know if you'll like the sport, and you have a bike that'll let you find out, without spending lots of $. It might be all the bike you need for a long time. IMO, the only really big innovations since that bike was made are dual-control levers (they're nice, but you certainly can enjoy riding without them) and clipless pedals (which you can get easily if you decide to).

So go ride. You wouldn't get much in sale or trade for the bike, and you'd spend a lot to get a nicer ride.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.