Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for something around 500-ish, can be a bit more. i've upgraded everything possible on my specialized allez and at this point in my training (around 200 miles a week), i'm starting to notice the flaws in that particular entry-level frame. so! what new frame can i hang my parts on? thanks in advance!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i currently ride a 56. steel or aluminum would both interest me. i generally do shorter, faster rides so maybe aluminum would be ideal as, right now, less weight is more important to me than road damping.

as far as the specialized frame... well, it's not terrible, it's just what you would expect from an entry level model. it's heavy, not very stiff, not too confident feeling on fast descents, just doesn't respond like i feel it should when i'm sprinting etc.

·
Registered
434 Posts
1) Frame & Fork $499 (headset extra) - http://www.planet-x-usa.com/pPCRFRMST/Planet-X-Pro-Carbon-SL-Road-Frameset.aspx

2) RS3 Group Buy ($549 frame only; doesn't include fork) http://pedalforce.com/online/product_info.php?products_id=17629

3) Hong Fu frames.

Most likely you can keep most components (such as handlebar, shifters, stem, brakes, wheels) but there will be some things you won't be able to transfer depending on the frame or would need some new components. Or you could need an adapter like if you buy a frame which has BB30

·
Banned
7,191 Posts
tindrum said:
i currently ride a 56. steel or aluminum would both interest me. i generally do shorter, faster rides so maybe aluminum would be ideal as, right now, less weight is more important to me than road damping.

as far as the specialized frame... well, it's not terrible, it's just what you would expect from an entry level model. it's heavy, not very stiff, not too confident feeling on fast descents, just doesn't respond like i feel it should when i'm sprinting etc.
I bet if you get a new frame, you'll immediately notice how it's vertically compliant yet laterally stiff, and how you've shaved minutes off your favorite ride, feel faster on descents and your sprints are suddenly explosive.

It's pretty much all BS.

For $500, you're going to get basically the same frame you've already got. you're going to convince yourself is better, but really isn't.

Hell, for $10,000, you won't get any faster.

Get a new frame because you think your old one looks crappy, get a new frame because you really like the look of that ___________ brand frame, but don't delude yourself.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
tindrum said:
looking for something around 500-ish, can be a bit more. i've upgraded everything possible on my specialized allez and at this point in my training (around 200 miles a week), i'm starting to notice the flaws in that particular entry-level frame. so! what new frame can i hang my parts on? thanks in advance!:thumbsup:
What kind of frame do you have now?

·
oh lonesome road for you
1,713 Posts
Are there any fit or handling deficiencies in your current ride? A list of these would be the best (or only, really) reasonable place to start. If you can't think of anything, perhaps consider another wheelset. Wheels are great. Can't have too many, and make your sets different: for 500 you could get a pretty nice handbuilt set with 25 or 28mm tires for training and rougher roads, or maybe something in the lightweight direction, depending on your needs and wants.. Or spend a little extra and get a singlespeed/fixie for a change of pace if that interests you.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Frame upgrade.

tindrum said:
Tindrum, why don't you check with ebay seller bicycle_999, he has some sweet 12k or 3k carbon frame & fork, headset, seatpost, handlebar deals. You can get all that for less than US $575! I have X3 Kuota Kredo clone frames and really really like them! :D ru1-2cycle

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
http://www.specialized.com/zz/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?arc=2008&spid=32189&menuItemId=0

this is the frame in question. as i mentioned, the deficiencies are mostly in regards to weight and handling. i upgraded the drivetrain to a few-year-old dura ace 7800 and the wheels are now mavic aksiums. the slight portliness of the bike is not even as much of an issue as high sluggish it feels in comparison to friends bikes i have tried. out-of-the-saddle efforts are slower, and worst of all, the handling is twitchy, while sprinting and particularly at descending speeds i have been reaching as i've riding more seriously and racing.maybe the crappy handling is the low-end integrated headset?

buck 50- i understand your argument, "it's not about the bike", but to some degree. particularly in regards to low level gear, it is a little about the bike. for instance, the bike came with sora and tiagra. at first this seemed ok 3 years ago. 5 and 10 mile rides- everything was in order. as the length and speed increased, it started to become apparent why this entire bike was about 750 bucks. shifts were unreliable, hell everything about the drivetrain was unreliable.when i got the above-mentioned dura ace grouppo, it was wonderful not because of the incredible stiffness of the crank arms or any of that technical jargon, but simply because it quietly and reliably does what i want it to do, which my sora cranks and unbranded tektro brakes did not. i think i can continue to improve as a cyclist on my frame, but like i said it is frustrating because i sometimes still feel like i'm fighting the bike, and it downright scary when i feel like the frame is not made for prolonged speeds i sometimes reach. there is definitely a law of diminishing returns in effect when it comes to bikes, and the difference in how fun riding will be is far greater for someone upgrading from a 200 dollar bike to a 1000 dollar one, than someone upgrading from a 6000 dollar one to a 10000 dollar one. could contador still beat most of the world riding my bike? sure. could i beat a clone of myself on a bike that is 18 lbs as opposed to my current 25 lbs and would allow me to sprint and descend faster? sure.

·
Registered
69 Posts
tindrum-
While people are correct that a new frame won't make you any faster (even if it is lighter), I understand you on wanting a frame that handles better. When ever I fly out to visit my brother I borrow his entry level bike for training rides. The bike is perfectly serviceable most of the time, but I have to say it has scared the @#$! out of me a couple of times on steeper descent. Less than predictable handling and slightly twitchy at high speeds, not exactly confidence inspiring.
I would look into the carbon ebay bikes. Just keep in mind the extra costs on top of a frame. Possibly a new front derailleur and seat post. I'm quite happy with mine, it's comfortable over long distances, plenty stiff, and handles well at high speeds. Somewhere around $400 if memory serves me.
Joe

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.