Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Zefal HPX is the pump I like the best from all others. It's a frame pump, not a mini pump

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
What do you mean by high pressure? If you're talking over, say, 110 you kind of need to accept that you have to use a frame pump or just accept riding home with less.

Anyway, as far as small pumps go Lezyne are the best and most convenient I've used. Except when the screw on hose unscrews a removable valve core and it rockets in to the woods.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, all. I used the Zefal on the Trek 1000 that was stolen. Had the Zefal for years. Just wanted some proven suggestions for a replacement.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
No, the bracket you see in the photo goes behind the bottle cage on then Seat tube. The pump does not interfere with the bottle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. All three brands you mentioned get good ratings.

• Lezyne
• Zefal HPX
• RaceRocket HPX

I ended up buying a large Lenzye Road Bike Pump at the Amazon link earlier in the thread. The $30 price was right and the Lenzye pumps to 160 psi. My 700x23 tires call for 120psi.

Cheers!

·
Registered
8,792 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. All three brands you mentioned get good ratings.

• Lezyne
• Zefal HPX
• RaceRocket HPX

I ended up buying a large Lenzye Road Bike Pump at the Amazon link earlier in the thread. The $30 price was right and the Lenzye pumps to 160 psi. My 700x23 tires call for 120psi.

Cheers!
Unless you are a very large individual, 120psi is too many psi's.

·
Banned
748 Posts
Sorry,,, Excuse me but carrying a pump on a bike is like buying an 8-track player for your new car!! Unless of course you're in a remote area and CO2 cartridges are extinct.

Pumps need to die the slow death of the floppies, 8-tracks, and spoke marbles..

·
Registered
8,792 Posts
Sorry,,, Excuse me but carrying a pump on a bike is like buying an 8-track player for your new car!! Unless of course you're in a remote area and CO2 cartridges are extinct.

Pumps need to die the slow death of the floppies, 8-tracks, and spoke marbles..
How many co2 canisters are needed to be carried to ensure enough are carried to cover a days flats? A spare tube and a Rema patch kit will get through about 7 flats, and a pump will fill them all. That's a lot of co2 to carry.

Of course that's extreme, but I've been out with my wife when she's had four flats in a 25 mile ride.

·
Banned
748 Posts
How many co2 canisters are needed to be carried to ensure enough are carried to cover a days flats? A spare tube and a Rema patch kit will get through about 7 flats, and a pump will fill them all. That's a lot of co2 to carry.

Of course that's extreme, but I've been out with my wife when she's had four flats in a 25 mile ride.
Four flats in one ride??? Thats got to be a record.. When I first started riding I carried all the junk but have learned that two cartridges, a few patches and a spare tube is enough!!! A lot of the spares we carry needs to be tempered with the condition of our bike, I routinely replace tires and tubes every couple of thousand miles or every year. Its not worth the risk to ride old tires/tubes. .

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
Four flats in one ride??? Thats got to be a record.. When I first started riding I carried all the junk but have learned that two cartridges, a few patches and a spare tube is enough!!! A lot of the spares we carry needs to be tempered with the condition of our bike, I routinely replace tires and tubes every couple of thousand miles or every year. Its not worth the risk to ride old tires/tubes. .
you routinely change tires every 2K miles or annually...?

seems like an odd way to deal with a 'wear' item...most people go by condition of the tread/sidewall, not mileage or time.

and a one-year old tube isn't any more prone to punctures. have some that are easily 5+ years old that are still perfectly serviceable.

·
Registered
8,792 Posts
Her flats were on relatively new tires, but like I responded to bvber's post, sometimes stuff happens. I wouldn't replace a tire or tube by the mileage, but by the wear. I've had tires wear out by 1500 miles, while changing a rear out at 4000 miles because I thought that was plenty, but there looks to be enough wear left that I haven't brought myself to pitching it. And the front that I switched to the rear when swapping out that tire made it to just shy of 8000 miles. I pushed that tire longer than I should have, but I had to see what I could get out of it. And that tire never flatted.

That was extreme, especially considering that the tire had no flat protection belt, but it was also a large, high volume low pressure tire(650b\42mm). And I've used tubes through 2 and 3 tire swaps, and other tubes that have seen lots of patches.

When it comes to tires and flats it's important to pay attention to road conditions. I tend to ride it the automotive right tire paths on the road that is relatively clean, being constantly swept free of debris by the traffic. Riding on the shoulder or nearer the curb puts the cyclist right in the flat causing debris that's been pushed there by the automobiles.

My wife flats more me, she being relatively timid when it comes to dealing with the traffic, so she is riding through the debris fields more than I am.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I range from 195-205 depending on schedule demands. 105-110psi has always worked well for me. The 160psi Lezyne limit just seemed to reflect good seals that would make 110-120psi easy.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts