Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
If you wanna save money,

Nashbar and Performance house brand stuff is often a terrific deal, especially if you look for what's on sale. Buying shoes on line can be a crapshoot re fitting, but I've bought shoes successfully from both outlets, and have had good luck with their pedals.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The house brand Nashbar and Performance (same company BTW) are made by Welgo and are of fairly good quality. My only beef with them is the limited 4* of float. Unless you get them set up perfectly, this could cause a problem. I was able to use these pedals in my younger years (I had Welgo made Ritchey pedals that had no float) but my knees hurt more these days. Not sure how your son will handle the limited float. My two recommendations would be either the Shimano SPD-M520 (8* of float) or what I use, the Crank Bros Smarty (6* of float plus some lateral float) which seem to work quite nicely.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Cheap Shimano SPD's are the go for pedals.

I would recommend avoiding Crank Brothers Smarties. I sold a pair I took off a new mtb to a friend (for a 6 pack of beer), he put them on his roadie and they died in less than 1000kms.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Not in my experience

Dr. Nob said:
Cheap Shimano SPD's are the go for pedals.

I would recommend avoiding Crank Brothers Smarties. I sold a pair I took off a new mtb to a friend (for a 6 pack of beer), he put them on his roadie and they died in less than 1000kms.
I've got over 1500 road miles on mine...no issues

And they do come with a 1 year warranty

·
Registered
287 Posts
I use shimano mtb clipless. You can get a good pair for under $60 onebay usually. Nashbar has some great deals on shoes. After fifteen years in the same pair, I just broke down and purchased a pair of cannondalesfor $70 that retail for $229. You may have to play around with the fit a bit if you buy online, but the deals are great. This particular shoes is super stiff, so it works well on the road.

·
Registered
15 Posts
For the pedals - Shimano M520's Cheap (under $40) and super durable.
for the shoes - I like Lake M120's or 200's

All in you have spent $100

I just don't get "Road shoes" you can't walk in them! MTB cleats and shoes arejust so much better designed and not much heavier in the grand scheme of things

·
Registered
10 Posts
My first clipless pedal set up

I am a total newbie, but thanks to this forum I ordered my first set up today for under $100. Let you know if I regret or love it when they arrive and get set up. Nashbar had the best prices.

Shimano SH-MT21 $47

Shimano SPD-M520 $44

·
Registered
35 Posts
Aeroryder. I also have those pedals and had a similar problem to yours. I took it to my LBS and they had an easy rememdy -- adjust the tension of the clip.

If you look at that picture, you'll see in the center back portion a allen wrench style hole. Above it, it has a + and - sign with little notches between them. If you turn that towards the + sign, it will be harder to clip in and out, and easier if you turn it to the - sign.

Hope this helps!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.