Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Did anyone else see Hinault thow that protester off the stage?

(Link via wesmon. Thanks!)

It sort of reminded me of Harrison Ford In the movie "Air Force One", where he says to the hijacker "Get Off My Plane!!!" as he throws him off. LOL!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
He's a complete piece of ****. It would have been much better if the protester kicked him square in the balls. He completely f'ed over LeMonde, if it wasn't for his team manager holding him back, he would've crushed Hinault. Then him going back on his word the next TDF after saying he was going to support Greg for the win? You better believe 4 time winner.
 

·
Cannot bench own weight
Joined
·
4,298 Posts
HevyHittr said:
He's a complete piece of ****. It would have been much better if the protester kicked him square in the balls. He completely f'ed over LeMonde, if it wasn't for his team manager holding him back, he would've crushed Hinault. Then him going back on his word the next TDF after saying he was going to support Greg for the win? You better believe 4 time winner.
Cry all you want about it, record books say otherwise. Also, there is no way to tell what WOULD HAVE happened in either year.

I happen to be a LeMond fan too. Much more so than the other big American winner.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
B15serv said:
Yea that was pretty awesome. He dosnt seem like a guy to take crap. He was johnny on the spot with it too. by the time I noticed the protester bernard was already shoving him off.
I thought it was pretty cool too. I certainly would not want to mess with him when he was angry. From the look on his face, I think the protester was lucky to escape with his life. :smilewinkgrin: LOL!

Patti
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,252 Posts
Anybody who ASKS a better competitor to LET him win is a 1st class low life. Let alone going back on his word a year later (a lesser offense to me because both riders should ride to win both years). NO other sport would alow that to go on without completely excommunicating that athlete to the hall of shame. Great rider, but 4 wins.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
Short version of a long story but Floyd Landis talked about racing the TdF or Paris-Nice (can't recall) and there was a protest and apparently Hinault was in an ASO car and when it pulled up he just jumped out and punched the first protester he saw square in the jaw. I gotta say I dig that he just jumps in there "old school" without thinking "will I get sued over this?". I would be very ready for "fight or flight" if I saw Hinault coming quickly in my direction! I'm a liberal guy but a frenchman's got to know that you don't mess with Hinault regardless of the piety of your cause!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,752 Posts
bigmig19 said:
Anybody who ASKS a better competitor to LET him win is a 1st class low life. Let alone going back on his word a year later (a lesser offense to me because both riders should ride to win both years). NO other sport would alow that to go on without completely excommunicating that athlete to the hall of shame. Great rider, but 4 wins.
Perhaps, but I think any better competitor that actually allows the lessor competitor to win is also the same kind of low life. I understand he was young and that there were other factors, but Lemond should not have listened, even if there were big consequences as a result. At the end of the day, if you can win, you gotta go for it, period. Same logic applies to all those yahoos that think Valverde taking Stage 1 was a mistake. If you can win, you gotta go for it.

Nonetheless, Lemond is probably my favorite rider. Hinault is also up there. Lance is not even on my list.
 

·
Cannot bench own weight
Joined
·
4,298 Posts
Tschai said:
Perhaps, but I think any better competitor that actually allows the lessor competitor to win is also the same kind of low life. I understand he was young and that there were other factors, but Lemond should not have listened, even if there were big consequences as a result. At the end of the day, if you can win, you gotta go for it, period. Same logic applies to all those yahoos that think Valverde taking Stage 1 was a mistake. If you can win, you gotta go for it.

Nonetheless, Lemond is probably my favorite rider. Hinault is also up there. Lance is not even on my list.
LeMond was working for Hinault in '85. As long as Hinault had a shot at winning, then LeMond was obligated to wait. Going against the trend and doing his own thing almost surely would have got him ostracized in some fashion. By this time Hinault was an Icon and LeMond was not.

Just last year you saw Kloeden slow down and wait for Vino, even though Kloeden had a legitimate shot at winning the race.

But since none of us are pro riders, who can say what would really happen if you went against team rules and a cycling icon?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,752 Posts
Einstruzende said:
LeMond was working for Hinault in '85. As long as Hinault had a shot at winning, then LeMond was obligated to wait. Going against the trend and doing his own thing almost surely would have got him ostracized in some fashion. By this time Hinault was an Icon and LeMond was not.

Just last year you saw Kloeden slow down and wait for Vino, even though Kloeden had a legitimate shot at winning the race.

But since none of us are pro riders, who can say what would really happen if you went against team rules and a cycling icon?
I believe Lemond claimed his coaches lied to him, which as far as I am concerned trumps all of the alleged old school obligations. Besides, per Hinault's own code, the best rider is supposed to win. As to the Kloden/Vino situation, it simply does not compare to the 1986 Tour scenario. Moreover, turns out neither one was able to win.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
481 Posts
HevyHittr said:
He's a complete piece of ****. It would have been much better if the protester kicked him square in the balls. He completely f'ed over LeMonde, if it wasn't for his team manager holding him back, he would've crushed Hinault. Then him going back on his word the next TDF after saying he was going to support Greg for the win? You better believe 4 time winner.

Wow, you sure know how to hold a grudge don't you? What is it, 23 years?:rolleyes:

Are you sure you're not Greg LeMond's mult?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
No grudge, just hate to see people heap(okay heap may be a stretch, but you get what I mean) praise onto a guy who cant stand by his word. I can see the first time LeMond got screwed (85)was really on his coaches, and him being there to support Hinault. But in '86 that was a complete about face on Bernies part. No excuses. He's not a guy I would want backing me up anywhere. Hopefully, but I doubt it, his "manufactured" win in '85 keeps him up at night occasionally.
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top