Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.myfoxtoledo.com/myfox/pa...ale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=1.1.1&sflg=1

SOUTH TOLEDO -- A man riding his bicycle to work was shot and killed just after sunrise Tuesday morning in South Toledo.

It was his first day of riding his bicycle to work.

The victim, 46-year-old David Babcock, was riding his bicycle trying to save gasoline in these tough economic times when he was shot in the face by an unknown assailant, Toledo Police detectives say.

· Premium Member
10,106 Posts
The time of day when one commutes is a real issue. If you commute at non-rush hour times, such as this guy who was commuting around dawn, or late in the day as I sometimes do, you risk being a crime victim. If you commute when traffic is heavy, I think that there is a significantly less crime risk even in high crime areas, but then you risk being hit by a car. When I commute, I tend to leave the house at the end of the morning rush hour, but almost always I ride home after rush hour -- usually leaving the office no earlier than 6:30 or 7:00 p.m. I definitely have a different route home when it is dark outside than when it is not. My "dark" route is along busy, well traveled streets. Even so, there are a few places on the dark route that are pretty desolate, but close to bad parts of town.

Stories like this one really disturb me. I definitely do not plan to surrender the streets to robbers and thugs. But, I also want to reach a ripe old age, too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.