Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Non non normal
10,094 Posts
I must start riding neutered to work. Maybe in the fall.

·
Failboat Captian
6,527 Posts
Good in the fact that it's not 96 degrees by 9am, yes. It should stay below 90 today. Other than that, it's Monday, so, No. I'd rather be doing a solo metric nnc today.

·
Stumpcake!
5,950 Posts
I guess it's safe to assume the lung is all better now, yes?

I wish we had bike parking at work.

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
I get to keep my bike in my office thank god. But that is a damn nice job they did on that. What are the entrance requirements to get in the garage area once the bike is in there? each rider have a key or a combo to a locked gate?

·
Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
rward325 said:
I get to keep my bike in my office thank god. But that is a damn nice job they did on that. What are the entrance requirements to get in the garage area once the bike is in there? each rider have a key or a combo to a locked gate?
You can see the door is swung open in the second picture. If you have an office in the building, you can get a key to the bike cage. I still also lock my bike frame to but it's relatively safe unless someone forgets to close the door to the cage. The garage itself is accessible to anyone during work hours.

One other convenient thing is that the closest door to the elevators and stairwell also leads you right past the gym and locker room.

·
Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
BobH said:
What is the max number of bikes parked there that you have seen?
Probably about five without counting two that were behind me when I took the picture and don't appear to get ridden. I think there are probably at least 40 spaces.

I also see a few more bikes locked to the bike racks outside the cage and the bike racks outside the ground floor. There is also a cage in the sister building next door that is regularly much more crowded than mine.

·
Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
tconrady said:
I guess it's safe to assume the lung is all better now, yes?
Yes, I feel great. At this rate I will finish with more miles than last year even though my first ride wasn't until March 18 this year. I'm recently averaging a solid three days a week cycling to work and riding my beater bike a couple miles to the subway from my house the other two days.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Nice setup. We have a stairwell that they let us use for our bikes and we do have showers. But since I live a mile and a half away I've never thought it was worth getting dressed, riding and sweating (I sweat breathing) then getting cleaned up for a 3 minute commute.

Still love the Cogswell!

·
Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
nate said:
You can see the door is swung open in the second picture. If you have an office in the building, you can get a key to the bike cage. I still also lock my bike frame to but it's relatively safe unless someone forgets to close the door to the cage. The garage itself is accessible to anyone during work hours.

One other convenient thing is that the closest door to the elevators and stairwell also leads you right past the gym and locker room.
Famous last words. I go into work Monday morning and found the below. Someone cut through the cage with bolt cutters and stole a bike on Friday. I believe the bike was unlocked in the cage, but to continue keeping my bike less attractive to steal than the others, I've added a cable to secure my wheels. (I'll use the cable on both bikes, but it's mainly for when I ride geared. I doubt most thieves carry a 15mm wrench for the wheels on the fixie.) The lock escalation has begun!

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Good morning indeed. I was frantic well before 9am due to work nonsense.

The good news: Not only did I pass the most recent civil service exam, I did pretty well (88.75%, still wondering how I could've made up that 1/4%...) This means a change of title and a slight raise. Yee hah.

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
nate said:
Famous last words. I go into work Monday morning and found the below. Someone cut through the cage with bolt cutters and stole a bike on Friday. I believe the bike was unlocked in the cage, but to continue keeping my bike less attractive to steal than the others, I've added a cable to secure my wheels. (I'll use the cable on both bikes, but it's mainly for when I ride geared. I doubt most thieves carry a 15mm wrench for the wheels on the fixie.) The lock escalation has begun!
That sucks! Has to be someone who knows the building. Why would people keep their bikes there over a weekend though?

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
As for bike parking, we got a nice new rack not far from the nice old rack. Guess they're trying to encourage more bikers, but it's still outdoors/exposed.

·
Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What is the max number of bikes parked there that you have seen?
Good morning again. I would say in the past year+ since I posted those pictures that the number of commuters in my building has definitely increased. Here are a couple pictures from this past August.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Here's mine:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts