Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched but everyone wants race wheels.

I need some opinions on wheels for touring/ commuting. I could care less about bling factor but they do need to at least look pleasing and I am thinking 32 rear 28 front. 700c with a tire width of at least 35. Lets not break the bank.

Thoughts and comment please.

Thanks,
Bryan

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
I run Chris King hubs and Mavic Open Pro 32 rear and 28 front on my Waterford but I am fairly light (although I am pretty tough on my wheels what with all the dirt riding I do). A nice thing about that set-up is the spokes are the same length on both wheels (3 cross rear, 2 cross front).

Overall though I would have to suggest these wheels are a bit on the light side if you ever run full panniers. No problem at all if you are touring with a BOB trailer.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
I run Mavic Open Pros with Ultegra hubs, 32 spokes on all of my road bikes. They are relatively inexpensive, light and durable. If I was using them for touring, I would get them with 36 spokes, however.

You can find 32-spoke Open Pro/Ultegra wheels for about $200/set if you shop around (hint: Performance Bike), but 36-spoke are harder find -- perhaps on eBay. One of the nice things about Open Pros as opposed to all of the boutique wheel sets is that you can get them fixed at virtually any bike shop as they use standard spokes. I've been on supported tours several times where other riders using Kseriums and other bling wheels broke spokes or cracked rims and were screwed -- they had to buy an entire new set of wheels to keep going because the LBS in the area didn't have parts on hand to fix them.

·
abominable slowman
1,072 Posts
King hubs might break the bank, they're typically at least $450 for the hubs alone. But they're nice (I run them on my mountain bike).

I also run the Ultegra/Open Pro combo on my cross bike (32 spoke, 3 cross). They've seen racing and plenty of off road riding. I got them from bicyclewheelwarehouse.com. They have a pretty good selection.

·
banned from the museum
6,755 Posts
I would recommend Velocity Dayd rims, Ultegra-level or equivalant hubs, 36 spokes rear, 32 front, triple cross. You could use straight gage-14, or 14-15-14 butted spokes. Brass nipples. Bulletproof.

You should be able to get these built for less than $300.

·
Unlabeled
3,729 Posts
kayakguy said:

I need some opinions on wheels for touring/ commuting. I could care less about bling factor but they do need to at least look pleasing and I am thinking 32 rear 28 front. 700c with a tire width of at least 35. Lets not break the bank.

Thanks,
Bryan

On a budget--36 spoke 3 cross front and rear Shimano 105 hubs, Sun CR 18 rims, Sapim butted spokes.

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
Ultegra hubs with Velocity Deep V rims 32 spoke. The taller rim makes for a stronger wheel while still looking pretty decent. Any LBS should be able to replace a broken spoke and the hubs are user serviceable. I commuted on ultegra hubs for two years in Hawaii through tropical storms and flooded MUTs.

If you want bulletproof boutique wheels without breaking the bank, look at the Specialized Roval Pave Classique. They are designed for cyclocross so the rim is a little wider for larger tires. The hubs are high flange with sealed cartridge bearings and the spokes are standard 14 gage. I have put 3000+ miles on a set this year on my commute. I am 6'1" and 225#.

·
Done
4,591 Posts
If you want it REAL strong...

kayakguy said:

Thanks,
Bryan
Shimano Ultegra or 105
Velocity Deep V rims
32 spoke minimum (36 if you are going to run it as a loaded touring bike)
3x in back, 2x in front.
Sapim Race spokes (14/15/14), brass nipples

Bulletproof and rebuildable. If you are bucks-up, replace the Shimano stuff with Phil Wood stuff.

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
Gregory Taylor said:
Shimano Ultegra or 105
Velocity Deep V rims
32 spoke minimum (36 if you are going to run it as a loaded touring bike)
3x in back, 2x in front.
Sapim Race spokes (14/15/14), brass nipples

Bulletproof and rebuildable. If you are bucks-up, replace the Shimano stuff with Phil Wood stuff.

deep v for touring??? perhaps some other non-box w/ lower profile

·
Done
4,591 Posts
Why not?

If you are looking for strong, a Deep V is strong. No rule that says that you can't tour on it.

And, yes, they come in 36 holes.

From the Velocity Website:

DEEP V
This rim is the jack of all trades. The deep section creates strength, aerodynamics and durability. Use it for training, racing, commuting, touring, track bikes or anything else you can think of. If you want one rim that can do it all, this is the one.

700c
Colors: Black, Silver, White, E. Red, Yellow, E. Blue, Purple, Gold, Orange, Lime green, Ti Grey, Bright Silver, Pink, Brown, Celeste
*Most colors available in 32 and 36h non-machined

Drillings 700c: 16, 18, 20 24, 28, 32, 36, 40, 48

700c
Bead seat diameter 622
Weight 520g ERD = 582

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Another vote for Velocity Deep Vs. They are an incredibly strong rim. I have 2 sets, one on my commuter and one on my race bike. I gave the Deep Vs a try after having ridden Mavic Open Pros. There's no comparison. The mavic is a good rim, but strength wise, they can't hold a candle to the Deep Vs.

·
Done
4,591 Posts
My Own Private Idaho said:
While it could be done, the Fusion or Dyad rims don't limit stem length as much. I really like my Dyads.
Yes - I could see where that would be an issue if you were touring, Finding a long-stem tube might be a hassle in the boonies. I've got a pair of screw-on valve extenders that that I always throw in with my crap, so I don't worry about it.

I've not built a wheel using the Dyad or Fusion rims. I've done a couple of sets of Deep V's and Aeroheds, with really good results. Velocity makes quality stuff.

·
Registered
433 Posts
tarwheel2 said:
I run Mavic Open Pros with Ultegra hubs, 32 spokes on all of my road bikes. They are relatively inexpensive, light and durable. If I was using them for touring, I would get them with 36 spokes, however.

You can find 32-spoke Open Pro/Ultegra wheels for about $200/set if you shop around (hint: Performance Bike), but 36-spoke are harder find -- perhaps on eBay. One of the nice things about Open Pros as opposed to all of the boutique wheel sets is that you can get them fixed at virtually any bike shop as they use standard spokes. I've been on supported tours several times where other riders using Kseriums and other bling wheels broke spokes or cracked rims and were screwed -- they had to buy an entire new set of wheels to keep going because the LBS in the area didn't have parts on hand to fix them.
This guys have a good deal too http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=37

·
Sticky Valentine
28,415 Posts
I've got Surly hubs and Deep V's on my commuter (36 h f/b) and they are indestructible. I'm a big guy and I ride these rims daily to work, to the store, to wherever. I've loaded up my rear panniers with groceries and the rack with extra stuff piled on top many times and the wheels won't budge. Pothole after rr tracks, the things stay solid with only very minor tweaking for trueness once in a while.

I'd trust this wheel set on a cross country tour. But if you're looking for something lighter you might want to try Arrowheads or Open Pros. Or Ultegra hubs (run them on my road bike and they're great hubs. A lot lighter than the Surlys as well).

jow

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.