Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive research some tires, such as Continental gator skins for my road bike, I plan on riding around 500+miles a year mainly for daily commutes and recreational weekend use. Wondering if there is other that have great experience with those or others that I may be unaware of.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 5 on AT&T

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Gatorskins are great tires for a commuter in my opinion - while no tire is bullet proof to flats, I have NEVER had a flat riding on those and I put over 5000 miles on a set. They aren't the smoothest riding or fastest, and are a little slick in the wet but very solid tires. With the 32mm width you shouldn't have any complaints about the ride quality either.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Challenge Strada Bianca, Soma Supple Vittesse, Clement Strada USH are more performance oriented than other 32mm tires. Jack Browns are slightly wider at 33mm.

Panaracer Pasela and Vittoria Voyager Hyper are less expensive options.

From more mainstream tires, the Continental 4000S II in 28mm actually measures 31mm on a 17mm rim. Although it is a high performance it is durable enough to be used daily unless your roads are terrible. Later this fall the GP 4-seasons will be released in 32 mm and that may be a better choice for commuting from Continental.

If you ride on roads littered with significant amounts of the stuff that cause flats, the Schwalbe Marathon are very durable but they weigh close to a ton and are as supple as building lumber.

·
Registered
760 Posts
The Specialized Roubaix Pro comes in a 30/32 tyre as well, would be decent for an all rounder. They sell it on their Gravel Grinder/ Adventure bike so can handle a bit of punishment. I'm currently running the 25/28 on one of my bikes and it is going well so far.

Am keen to try the Conti GP4k in 28mm or the Schwalbe S-One in 30mm (when you can actually get hold of them!) at some stage too.

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
Wondering if you dropped a zero and meant 5,000 miles per year. Otherwise, bicycle tires do not age very gracefully if kept in non-temperature controlled settings, like a garage. Even kept inside your house, maybe after a few years they will typically start cracking.

...I plan on riding around 500+miles a year mainly for daily commutes and recreational weekend use...

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,411 Posts
Wondering if you dropped a zero and meant 5,000 miles per year. Otherwise, bicycle tires do not age very gracefully if kept in non-temperature controlled settings, like a garage. Even kept inside your house, maybe after a few years they will typically start cracking.

That depends on the tire compound. Some dry rot quicker than others. In temperature and humidity controlled environments, it will be awhile before cracking occurs in most cases.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks fellas, I ended up getting continental touring plus road flex tires.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts