Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
i used to ride a wilier- decent bikes, but i wouldn't get one inless youre going right to the top of their line, because a bigger company with better N.A. distribution will be able to offer you better value at the mid-range level.
Honestly, though, noone is going to be able to name anything close to an accurate "reasonable price" for this bike. has it been crashed?? has it been ridden 6 times or 600 times?? any upgrades?? how much did the owner weigh?? If you post a pic or list of components, answering your question will be easier.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cmatcan said:
i used to ride a wilier- decent bikes, but i wouldn't get one inless youre going right to the top of their line, because a bigger company with better N.A. distribution will be able to offer you better value at the mid-range level.
Honestly, though, noone is going to be able to name anything close to an accurate "reasonable price" for this bike. has it been crashed?? has it been ridden 6 times or 600 times?? any upgrades?? how much did the owner weigh?? If you post a pic or list of components, answering your question will be easier.
cmatcan: thanks for the reply! Yes, I understand exactly what you mean regarding the unknowns making it impossible to determine a fair price.

The Lavaredo, is the bottom of the line, Wilier, with a carbon-fiber fork, and an aluminum frame. 105's upfront and in the back, and there are no indications that it's been in a bad crash.

The asking price is 900, but I could get an OCR 2 Sport NEW for 50 bucks less, with the only difference being the Tiagra up front, the the 105 in the rear. So, you're exactly right when you say, a larger manufacturer could probably give me more for my money in this price range.

Thanks for the input!

Jean Luc

·
Registered
727 Posts
yeah, in that price range you can't beat a giant or trek. also, don't underestimate the importance of technical support wshen you buy a bike brand new. free repairs, as well as a great resource and place to go back for all your cycling needs. I had a wilier escape at one point, with campy veloce components, so close to the level of the lavaredo-it weighed like 21.5 lbs w/pedals (pretty heavy) and was a harsh ride. the ambrosio moena wheels that come stock are ridiculously heavy (like 2044 i believe) and thats rotating weight, so it really impacts speed/climbing. I was just lucky that since I bought it on a good sale, I was able to sell it second-hand for only a couple hundred less than what i had payed for it, about 4 months after.

·
Parlee fan!
747 Posts
2002 Wilier Triestina Lavaredo

Jean Luc Wilier Lavaredo said:
Considering purchasing a 2001 Wilier Lavaredo. Wondering what is a good price for this used bike. Thanks in advance!
Hi There!

I ride a 2002 WT Lavaredo. Overall, I'm happy with the bike. I had it for a year before I did any upgrade. I liked it very much. It came with Campy Daytona 10spd and a pair of Equation wheels. I swapped the ergo levers to a Record Ultra and changed wheels to Protons.

Wiliers are great looking bikes. Honestly, I was in an LBS to get a Giant w/ 105s when I saw this matte blue Wilier. Needless to say, I walked out with the Wilier. :)

For $900, you can look for bikes in e-bay that are quite comparable (if not better) than the 2001 Lavaredo you are eyeing. Actually, you might be able to score a SCOTT Speedster (105 9spd equiped) for that price.

Like so... http://cgi.ebay.com/Scott-Speedster...ryZ42319QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

But if it's the Wilier name you're after, then you can give it some serious thought. Another alternative is build a Wilier w/ your own specs. Check this site out: http://www.bicycleodyssey.com/bikes_frames/index.htm

Good luck with your research... it's half the fun of buying a bike.

Ride safely,

Joe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts