Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who has some good quality mens shorts for the money?

Brand doesn't matter, just quality and how comfortable they are.

Not looking to spend over $100 per shorts for sure.

· Registered
21 Posts
You can get some decent quality shorts for $100.
Stick with name brand and look at the padding or chamois construction. It is key to the comfort.
I personally use Pearl Isumi, cannondale and Sugoi.
Make sure you don't purchase the cheaper models and go for a short that run around the $80 range.
Peace

· Registered
8 Posts
Voler

Voler Shorts are the best for the money. High quality materials, reasonably priced, made in California. Available direct at Velowear. They are better than the mid priced Giordana, Pearl , and Performance shorts that I have tried.

· Registered
1,301 Posts
Second that on Voler. Mid-range ($60-80) Voler shorts & bibs are my fav's by far. Even over some much more expensive stuff. Higher-end Pearl stuff ain't bad, but Voler fits me better. Bicycling mag picked Performance Elite as their best mid-priced ($80) short/bib, and but similar priced Volers are better fitting & more comfortable to me. You are right to avoid low-end shorts, & I would avoid gel-padded shorts too. Look for flat stitching & a soft, mid-weight chamois. Like picking a saddle, though, YMMV.

· Banned
1,844 Posts
I'm not a big voler fan. I've found their stuff to not fit me well, not wear well and overall, not worth my money. That said, it's an opinion. The longer I've been riding ( I think I'm up to 11 years now), the more I've come to find I like the higher end shorts. I dont like the higher end prices.
Keep an eye on sierra trading post. When they get the closeouts from this spring/summer, they usually have some high end stuff-- when they run their own sale that can be coupled with one of their 15-20% off codes, you can do really well.
I've been able to get some exte ondo bibs between $80 and $90, as well as castelli, giordana, and demarchi. The other nice thing is they have a great return policy-- if you try them on and think they'll work, but 2 rides later realize they wont- they'll take them back. I dont recommend using that recklessly, but it makes it a lot easier to take the chance.
I think those performance elite bibs are now backordered until November 2008, you may want to check that if you're still going to order them.

· Registered
391 Posts
+1 on avoiding low-end shorts, you pay for it "in the end."

I used to buy mostly Pearl Izumi. But I've switched to Bellwether Strada. It's an 8 panel short, great pad (for me,) and does just as well on a century as my pricey Pearl Iz. I think the MSRP is about $70, street price $55 - $60, but careful web shopping when time to buy usually get me a few new pair at $45 - $50.

YMMV but I see it as a mid-priced that works as well as the pricey stuff I used to buy.

· Registered
491 Posts
right now chainlove.com has giordana forma bib shorts (sizes small, medium, large) for $93 a piece!

· Registered
449 Posts
+1 for voler... have several pairs, have lasted for a while and i love the fit and pads... you can get em for 60-80 or so depending on the bib.... oh, and always go with bibs.. just my opinion though...

· Registered
106 Posts
bikerboy337 said:
+1 for voler... have several pairs, have lasted for a while and i love the fit and pads... you can get em for 60-80 or so depending on the bib.... oh, and always go with bibs.. just my opinion though...
I agree with the bib opinion. Just started riding a road bike for the first time ever (I'm 39 years old). I never thought I would ever wear the tights, but after buying both a bib and shorts, the shorts will probably not get used unless a very short ride. I am very new to this sport and have visited a ton of bike shops trying to figure out what fits well. I took a chance and found a Castelli Squadra bib on ebay and it fit PERFECTLY. Unfortunately, the regular Castelli stuff does not fit well and actually feels cheaper than the Squadra that i have. Anyone know where i can get the Squadra? I googled it and found their site but it's all custom stuff. So i emailed them to see if they could direct me in the right direction.

On the Voler bibs, which model is the one to get? there seems to be a lot on their website? or, are they all the same model bibs, just different print designs?

Thanks in advance!!

H

· Registered
149 Posts
I just picked up 2 pairs of Sugoi Evolution shorts from Jenson on sale for $45.

The quality looks great to me.

· Registered
298 Posts
I'd check the Sugoi if I were you they seem pretty solid for the price.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.