Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.rutlandherald.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060225/NEWS/602250333/1007/SPORTS

Last night it was utter chaos at the "Irish Igloo," a bar in Sestriere, Italy, that is honored with the designation of being the official "U.S. Ski Team House."

It is a favorite hangout for the athletes and less-glam crowd, except for the Irish Team, who protest going there because being Irish doesn't qualify them as VIPs. No matter how many times they refer to the sign "Irish Igloo" above the door and point to the Irish flag on the jackets, they are still left to stand in line with the rest of us unlucky charms.

On this particular night, the line was longer than ever, and as I stood watching Tom Green interview a U.S. ski team member, none other than Bode Miller marched quickly out the door with a friend in tow. Not far from the bar now, Miller stood talking with the friend in the street. Promising my sisters a picture if I saw him, I decided to seize the opportunity.

Hoping to not draw attention to myself or Miller, I nonchalantly approached them and said, "Excuse me, would you mind? I promised my sisters that if I saw you I would get a picture with you."

Miller's friend, obviously on the defensive front-line of the Miller Madness, took my camera, and said "Sure, I'll take a picture of you" and was about to take a picture of just me, when Miller stopped him with his reply:

"Would I mind? Would I mind? Do you know how many (expletive) pictures I just took in there? That's all anybody wants is their picture with me. I must have taken at least a hundred pictures just now!"

By now, boisterous Bode had commanded a crowd. In an attempt to pacify the situation, I replied, "I know, I understand it must be tough, but I only asked for one picture."

Miller: "This sucks, I can't go anywhere without people hounding me for my picture. That's all everyone wants — just one picture. Do you know what I think? I think every picture people take of me takes a piece of my soul."

Trying not to laugh, I replied "Really." Instead of a picture, now I was getting "Deep Thoughts by Bode Miller", which I must admit got me thinking, too.

"You know, my husband was an Olympic medalist in speed skating, and he takes pictures with people all the time," I said, trying to find some common ground with Miller.

"Well, speed skating doesn't get one hundredth of the attention that we do," he replied sarcastically.

Wow, I thought to myself. He seems to be as good at math as he has been about performing during these Games.

"Actually, speed skating is very popular here in Europe," I said, a little bit defensive. "You know, I can't believe I wanted my picture with you to begin with."

As I took my camera and began to walk away, I cringed as a group of unsuspecting picture-seekers approached Miller with the same request.

Miller's tangent ensued. "Are you (expletive) crazy? No, I'm not taking a picture with you. I just told her I wouldn't take a picture, and she's cute!"

Determined to get the last word in, I turned and shouted back, "And American, you (expletive)."

Perhaps Miller should have thought about the sanctity of his soul before he signed major endorsement deals with Nike and Barilla, and appeared on countless magazine covers and television shows prior to the Games.

Miller himself had been one of the major driving forces behind the mania that now follows him, yet seems unwilling to accept the responsibility of becoming a household name. Before long, his 15 minutes of fame will wane, and he too will find himself waiting in the back of the line, behind me, at the Irish Igloo.

What a complete idiot

·
Banned
7,890 Posts
does being a public figure means being public property?
this whole celebrity thing.. why does everyone have a right to a piece of their idols? why does this bode whatever have to take pics w/ her? is it his job? the woman is the idiot.

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Agreed

colker1 said:
this whole celebrity thing.. why does everyone have a right to a piece of their idols? why does this bode whatever have to take pics w/ her? is it his job? the woman is the idiot.

Two thoughts, One being we have no idea as to the validity of this story, think of how many false Lance stories there have been in regards to him throwing tantrums etc. This may be simply someone jumping on his coattails for their fifteen minutes....Two, EVEN if it is true, I agree with Colker, when did it become appropriate to bother these people incessantly. Bode just BOMBED the olympics, has had a difficult time with the media, and is losing in the world cup standings to Raich. How approachable should someone be?....I would imagine that many people would be FAR more rude in their replies, should this happen to them as well.

·
Registered
483 Posts
colker1 said:
Hey, my local newspaper...

By no means does he have to take a picture with anyone, but that's not an excuse for being an a-hole and blowing up at her. He could have refused and been polite about it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
he may not be an idiot, but he's an a$$hole

I agree that he's not public property, but in a position like his he needs to learn to act with grace and dignity.
She was polite and asked him nicely, he could have said, you know, I'm tired and would really like to be left alone - he didn't need to respond the way he did.

just my .02

-Rich

·
nothing
120 Posts
He definitely shouldn't have been such a jerk. It's no secret to anyone that prominent athletes get hounded. If he didn't want the attention...

·
Banned
7,890 Posts
the woman is a vulture.. if she had any class, she wouldn't hurry to the news and make herself a victim of celebrities. i'm w/ this miller guy on this one. the woman may have a very bad presence that made him paranoid.. if she was sensitive about it, she would not be bothered to publish.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
colker you can't be serious - read the story, she was polite and considerate. Besides, how many celebs deal with 10x as much attention with 1000x more grace.

Calling her a vulture is a bit extreeme or even rediculous. Bode accepted the risk or pit falls of being popular when he put himself on the front page of everything he could and everytime he opens his mouth with some inarticulate remark that is nothing less than crude lack of thought process and seriously sad. I tell ya, I was brought up to know better than to treat strangers like that and if I had not been brought up as such, hell I would ahve learned by his age. He is a bit old to have to be reminded or have the reason why people want his photo explained unless he IS an idiot

·
Soon to be banned
14,475 Posts
Bode certainly isn't handling his fame well.

"This sucks, I can't go anywhere without people hounding me for my picture. That's all everyone wants — just one picture. Do you know what I think? I think every picture people take of me takes a piece of my soul."

The cost of one photo...

Agree and the lady goes home, shows all her friends the pic, tells them how cool you were. Diss her, lady goes home, tells all her friends what a dick you are, writes her local rag that gets sent around the internets until it's picked up by the MSM and blows your image with millions.

Priceless.

Bode should be honored anyone would still want to be seen with him after he stunk up the slopes at the Olympics!

·
Registered
499 Posts
spyderman said:
The cost of one photo...

Agree and the lady goes home, shows all her friends the pic, tells them how cool you were. Diss her, lady goes home, tells all her friends what a dick you are, writes her local rag that gets sent around the internets until it's picked up by the MSM and blows your image with millions.

Priceless.
I read somewhere once that for every bad experience a person has, on average, he or she will tell 11 people. But for every good experience a person has, he or she will only tell 3 people.

·
Just Riding Along
1,024 Posts
Two faces you won't see on a box of Wheaties...

Bode Miller & Lindsay Jacobellis

Bode seems to revel in the immature and inappropriate, while Lindsay succumbed to the ever present temptation to celebrate too early. Neither had presence of mind when it was needed.

Compare to Apollo Ohno, who makes a major mistake, gets blown out of his favorite event, bites his lip and comes back a winner.

·
Soon to be banned
14,475 Posts
KeeponTrekkin said:
Bode Miller & Lindsay Jacobellis

Bode seems to revel in the immature and inappropriate, while Lindsay succumbed to the ever present temptation to celebrate too early. Neither had presence of mind when it was needed.

Compare to Apollo Ohno, who makes a major mistake, gets blown out of his favorite event, bites his lip and comes back a winner.
I feel bad for Lindsay. It's not like she was out there talkin' trash. She's like 20 and was tryin' to have a little fun, made a mistake that cost her the gold, and NBC came down on her way to hard. At least she still won a medal.

Bode on the other hand I have no sympathy. He talked trash b4 the olympics. Couldn't finish 3 out of 5 races. Barely got out of the gate on his last race before he DQ'd. He obviously went to the Olympics to party and didn't take it at all seriously. Considering he had like a dozen sponsors, he certainly can afford to party on his own dime. Bode didn't even win a medal.

Lindsay rates much higher on my Olympic scale than Bode Bust.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
colker1 said:

I agree. I would never, never approach a celeb in public and ask them for photo or autograph unless it's an event (a la a booksigning) geared for same. They are allowed to eat and drink in peace. I don't love all of Bode's antics but I don't think there is anything wrong his position on this issue.

I know that the "trash Bode" bandwagon is a popular ticket, but I just can't go there on this issue.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
CARBON110 said:
colker you can't be serious - read the story, she was polite and considerate. Besides, how many celebs deal with 10x as much attention with 1000x more grace.
Of course she was polite and considerate. She wrote the story!

·
Soon to be banned
14,475 Posts
jtolleson said:
I agree. I would never, never approach a celeb in public and ask them for photo or autograph unless it's an event (a la a booksigning) geared for same. They are allowed to eat and drink in peace. I don't love all of Bode's antics but I don't think there is anything wrong his position on this issue.

I know that the "trash Bode" bandwagon is a popular ticket, but I just can't go there on this issue.
Sorry, but it comes with the territory. Any mature-minded individual knows this. (Not you, Bode "Bust.") Considering the effort he went to to turn down this woman, he coulda just as easily been gracious and agreed. But no, he comes up with some irrational excuse about "...pics stealin' his soul...etc." (sorry il sog)

Look at the Flyin' Tomato... He's all over the place. He's smart enough to know it won't last forever and he's only 17, Bode "Bust" is 28. The dude sounds like he's destined to be the next unibomber.

One night while in Little Italy, the actor who plays "Big Pu$$y" from the Sopranos came out of a restaurant with a date. Half of the people on the street started shouting "Big Pu$$y!" He loved it. Stopped and chatted with us. Took a pic or three. Yeah, we invaded his privace a little, but he was cool! He didn't run and hide or curse at us.

Ran into Chris Rock when he was doing his HBO Feet on the Street in Manhattan. Again, very cool! Didn't mind being recognized...etc. Didn't mind chatting. Taking pics...etc.

Saw Rudy Guilliani getting into his limo, shouted "Rudy" and he turned and waved...

Even the Soup Nazi was pretty cool about his Seinfeld fame... He abused me and there wasn't even anyone waiting... Damn good soup too.

Why did Bode "Bust" have to be such an a$$? Cause he is and everyone is figuring that out. If I were buying something and I found out Bode "Bust" endorsed it, I'd buy the competitors product. It's sad cause I was a fan b4 all this started hittin' the fan.

When Bode's 15 min candle burns out he will miss the attention and the endorsements.

·
Registered
178 Posts
seems like a real A-hole to me

and I already knew that Before I read your story... Talking about doping for once...

Moron.

I am glad I never got into skiing. :D

·
Banned
7,890 Posts
i don't want to throw gas in this fire and i know zero about skiing, olympics and bode but...
actors have a natural talent to comunicate w/ people. athletes may or may not.
some people seem to have a weird attitude: they adore the famous like they were Gods but expect them to be available anytime for a photoshoot or something.. if not, the idol is a worthless piece of [email protected] add to that the resentment of the masses that were not born w/ a special talent to come above 9 to 5 slavery and you have witch hunts. jealousy and resentment.
even if bode miller is in a bad phase or as not as good as everybody thought, he is still under an enormous pressure. even if he seems to be making tons of undeserved $, there is tons of people making $ out of his life and job: TVs, the olympic staff, reporters.. does the woman wrote that piece for free?

·
imbasilical moreon
1,873 Posts
colker1 said:
i don't want to throw gas in this fire and i know zero about skiing, olympics and bode but...
some people seem to have a weird attitude: they adore the famous like they were Gods but expect them to be available anytime for a photoshoot or something.. if not, the idol is a worthless piece of [email protected] add to that the resentment of the masses that were not born w/ a special talent to come above 9 to 5 slavery and you have witch hunts. jealousy and resentment.
even if bode miller is in a bad phase or as not as good as everybody thought, he is still under an enormous pressure. even if he seems to be making tons of undeserved $, there is tons of people making $ out of his life and job: TVs, the olympic staff, reporters.. does the woman wrote that piece for free?
it's a Strange and Tangled web we weave.......

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well said bookmiester - I think the boy has gone rabbid and we should put him down! Either that or mohair should track him down and beat the snot out of him :D

·
Soon to be banned
14,475 Posts
colker1 said:
It would be nice if famous people could walk down main street USA and not have people come up to them and ask for an autograph or photo. But that's not reality, is it?

Made his own bed. People who live by the sword die by the sword. He created this bad boy persona and did squat on the slopes. He painted the target on his own back with his comments. If he kept his mouth shut, worked hard, and skied to his ability, no one would be saying a word.

We all have the ability to communicate. We all have the ability to interact with people. He was a fool to take cheap shots at athletes who have dominated their sport, then go out on the largest stage in the world and stink it up. Those comments would've sounded a whole lot different if he had 1 or 2 gold medals dangling from his neck.

No, Bode Bust is just a blip on the radar, got rich by his sport, then got lazy, and didn't perform to his ability. He not only let down his fans, he let down a nation. He has abused his fame.

He talks about "returning the Olympics to its roots," yet he signed a dozen or so endorsements, and has a Sirius radio show. How many magazine covers was he on leading up to the Olympics? How many interviews did he do? He cashed all those checks didn't he? He's not true to his words or his roots. He's a fraud and a ***** for the mighty dollar.

Like it or not, there's a responsibility and a sacrifice that comes along with fame. You sacrifice part of your personal privacy for fame. It's not like he didn't know what was going on. He's not the brightest bulb in the box if he thinks he can just go out in the middle of the Olympics and not expect fans to approach him for an autograph or a photo. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts