Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm one to deliver the answer, "the best cadence is the one that comes naturally", but I did the math today, and found out I'm only spinning 50-60rpm on 7-10% grades lately - which is pretty low on any scale. I've become more curious about understanding cadence not in relation to performance, but in relation to physiology.

Can shift to a different gear, but I've been (oddly) comfortable with how I've been doing. If there's anything to note, I have asthma. Perhaps I'm feeling better off with 'mashing' the pedals because my lungs start hurting at a faster rate when I spinning? Not a clue. Any good reads to build my understanding?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
For me, I would definitely consider 50-60 RPM on the hills too low. What cadence do you usually run on the flats? I'd suggest trying to get within 5 or 10 of that number while doing climbs. Just be sure to keep the cadence up when you switch to a lower gear and don't ease up unless the pace is too high (i.e. you're going 15 mph at 60 cadence, switch to a lower gear, cadence shoots up to 70 but then you ease up because it just got easier so your rpm goes back down to 60 and now you're at 13 mph).

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kbiker3111 said:
Did the math? What did your computer say your cadence was?
"Math", as in, went to Sheldon's site, plugged in the appropriate gear values and played with several cadence inputs until they matched my average speed.

Flats aren't much of spin sessions either ~80rpm. Plan today is to "stress" the idea of spinning. "Intervals" of spinning seems to be the appropriate approach. But for a bit of confusion, I do know "how to spin" comfortably up to 100rpm, however this only happens during my warm-ups and recovery segments in a much lighter gear - up to 20min and imaginably longer if I wanted. I just can't seem to "translate" any of that into my regular and higher intensity. I seem to opt for certain (mashing) gears instead once that happens.

And specializedrider, thanks for the link. I do recall that thread, and see it as something less related to cadence, but it doesn't hurt to take what I can from a second look.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Ventruck said:
"Math", as in, went to Sheldon's site, plugged in the appropriate gear values and played with several cadence inputs until they matched my average speed.

Flats aren't much of spin sessions either ~80rpm. Plan today is to "stress" the idea of spinning. "Intervals" of spinning seems to be the appropriate approach. But for a bit of confusion, I do know "how to spin" comfortably up to 100rpm, however this only happens during my warm-ups and recovery segments in a much lighter gear - up to 20min and imaginably longer if I wanted. I just can't seem to "translate" any of that into my regular and higher intensity. I seem to opt for certain (mashing) gears instead once that happens.

And specializedrider, thanks for the link. I do recall that thread, and see it as something less related to cadence, but it doesn't hurt to take what I can from a second look.
So you don't have a computer with cadence? Go get one. Until you do, this whole discussion is just academic.

One point I'll make is that a top end of 100 rpm sounds low. I guess it depends what you mean by 'comfortable', but it should definitely be 100+. My friends and I will go out and do low gear sprints. Everyone puts it in the 39-25 (or lower) and slowly ramps up to sprint for a street sign or something. By the end you'll still be going less than 20 mph, but you should hit 180+ rpms.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts