Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be at Legoland with the family next month and am trying to figure out a couple of nice rides to do. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'll be staying right by the park and will only have one or two hours to complete each ride.

Looking on google maps, it seems like Whitney Mount is within a reasonable distance, although most of the ride takes place on four lane collectors albeit with bike lanes. Is this a good ride? I could also go up and back along the coast for 20-30 miles, although this option has considerably less vertical. Any other ideas? Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Rider5200 said:
There's a great route up into the foothills just east of where you will be staying.
http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=25788
Rider5200 -- why make a left onto El Camino Real rather than going straight on La Costa on the way to Rancho Santa Fe Road? I'm asking because I've been toying with doing that route but with the intent of riding all the way up San Elijo Hill then swinging back through Escondido and back down to Del Dios. Is that section of La Costa not safe?

But for the purposes of the OP, yes, definitely ride through Elfin Forrest -- it's not to be missed!

·
Registered
385 Posts
ragweed said:
Rider5200 -- why make a left onto El Camino Real rather than going straight on La Costa on the way to Rancho Santa Fe Road? I'm asking because I've been toying with doing that route but with the intent of riding all the way up San Elijo Hill then swinging back through Escondido and back down to Del Dios. Is that section of La Costa not safe?

But for the purposes of the OP, yes, definitely ride through Elfin Forrest -- it's not to be missed!
That section of La Costa can be tricky for riders -- the bike lane disappears in some sections and it is a VERY busy road. The El Camino / Levante detour takes you up a quiet residential area and puts you at the top of La Costa. Some people still take La Costa all the way, but I've never been comfortable doing that.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
head straight out Palomar Airport road

out to Escondido go North into Valley Center, come back through Bonsall to Oceanside. Return via the coast. Go to celopacific.org and look for the 'inland route' on the group rides

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
Here is a good one that goes around Carlsbad, Lake Hodges and Rancho Santa Fe. It even goes through the Elfin Forest. 54 mile loop with some great scenery and different types of roads.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/92165/edit

1 - 8 of 8 Posts