Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We’re far enough into DST that I’m about ready to put my Minewt X2 Dual up on the shelf until Fall (night rides excepted) but I’m thinking this year I should use a daytime running light for foggy mornings, rainy days, and the 2 crazy miles closest to my office. Just feels a little safer to roll out of work each night with something catching people's attention both front and rear.

I use a PB SuperFlash on the seatpost (and have one on my bag that I also turn on in the rain). Any opinions on the Knog lights, and which one would be good for front blinky use in mainly daylight conditions? I have never physically seen one, so am not sure about the viability of the cheapest one versus the others with more LED’s…

Any other suggestions appreciated as well.

Thanks.

·
Registered
106 Posts
What is wrong with continuing to use the Minewt?

I do agree with using lights year round for commuting since it can be foggy in the AM and PM and you never know when you will get stuck at the office late.

I got rid of my halogen lights this year and bought a Fenix Flashlight and a twofish adapter to attach it to the handlebars.

~100 lumens on two AA rechargables last 3 hours. Whole setup costs $50-$70 depending on where you buy it from. Check out Fenix-store.com.

What I like most about it is it is a self contained unit, and the flashlight comes off in 2 seconds with no extra wiring. So I take it off easily for weekend day rides and just levae the twofish connector on it.

Otherwise, if you are just looking for a real small flashing LED, I have been impressed with this when I messed with it at performance bike shop, but have no real experience with it other than it was damn damn in the store for a little flashing LED:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=26396&subcategory_ID=4320

The one above shows 4 or 5 LED's, but the one I saw in store had just one LED and was still very bright. Only drawback I saw to it was a funky proprietary charging system that looked somewhat fragile, but this gets really good reviews, is bright, has 3-4 different settings, and is very low profile if you don't want to weigh your bike down with clutter and wires.

·
Potatoes
1,402 Posts
If you like your Superflash PB also do the Blaze 0.5 watt and Blaze 1W:

The only thing I dislike about them is the mounting system. I've had similar designs in the past and found it far too easy to break the mounts or worse, the plastic on the light itself.

I have a Princeton Tec EOS Bike

It's small and durable and bright. On flash it uses it's full intensity and is similar to the PB range of lights, but with a much better mounting system IMO. I use it with rechargeable batteries- otherwise it's really not economical.

Also have a Knog Bullfrog which I got as a gift. It's no more brighter than any other 5 LED el cheapo light out there and he LEDs dont have any special lens etc. Its one saving grace is the pure mounting simplicity. Although you pay a 'Knog' tax for looks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts