Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Administrator
13,151 Posts
Seen lots of good reports on biketiresdirect.com (they have more then tires). They did well by me on a rush order for a wierd tube I needed.

:)

· iedereen op de fiets
675 Posts
raccoonmtn said:
what online store have good prices and reputations.
I like:

www.aebike.com
www.cbike.com
www.excelsports.com
www.11speed.com
www.glorycycles.com

I assume by your screen name that you live in or near Chattanooga. If so, there are a lot of great local shops. Go see Moose at Suck Creek, www.suckcreek.com. My parent's bought my first bike from Tom at Owen's Cyclery. Tom sold the business to a long time employee a few years ago, and it is still a great shop. River City is also worth a visit, www.rivercitybikes.com.

· Registered
95 Posts
old reliables...

performance and nashbar. been buying from performance since the late '80's and from nashbar since the early 90's. i remember times in the late 80's when i'd be the only guy in at a charity or event ride with performance gear. how times have changed! and except for a couple of very minor issues with orders, i've never had a real problem with performance. in fact, they've always gone out of their way to provide excellent customer service.
nashbar had its ups and downs before they got swallowed up by performance. in fact, i'd stopped ordering from them for a while in the late '90's and first part of this century because of customer service issues. it seemed as though everytime i ordered something from them, something was wrong with the order or the product. and then they'd refuse to rectify those problems. as a result, i wasnt surprised when performance bought them out.
when i heard that performance had bought them out, i started ordering from them again. since then, i havent had a problem with them. nashbar has definitely brought over performance's customer service and return policies.
its a huge plus to know that you can return anything at any time after a purchase. no questions asked. i've used the 100 % guarantee several times, and it definitely comes in handy. you can buy stuff and not worry about getting stuck with something you that doesnt work or somehow doesnt meet your expectations. i buy lots and lots of stuff from them. if it's a part and if i dont like the quality - which is rare - or if it fails or doesnt meet my performance expectation - which is rare also - or if it's clothing and it doesnt fit or it just doesnt perform the way you expected it to perform - which has happened more often - then i just send it back. you can buy and not worry about the typical stuff you worry about with online or mail order companies.
i'd purchased a frame pump from them once and it failed. i'd had it for over a year, but had only used it a couple of times before it failed. i'd called to see if i could get a part necessary to repair the broken pump and without prompting, the customer service person simply told me to send it back for either a refund or replacement.
also, their team performance deal is great. that 10% kickback is sweet and you can really save on purchases if you combine their 10% off sales with the team performance points you accumulate.
that said, i also buy lots of stuff from ebay, but you have to be careful to check the reputation of the seller before you buy. colorado cyclist's sales can be great cause you can get high-quality goods at really good prices, often. jensonusa is great for mtb stuff, though their road biking inventory is not very good. universal cycles here in portland is also great. they have a nice variety of parts and i've found that if they dont have it listed, they might be able to order it for you. i've done that a couple of times and they've never charged me. dont know if that is because i come into their shop and deal with them personally, or whether it's just their policy. either way, i like the shop and they are great guys to deal with. i've had good luck with greenfish also. gotten some great deals on components. price point has decent prices also.
i know some folks love to hate on the big boys on the block - like performance - and i definitely try to patronize the local, smaller business - like universal cycles - but i always check out performance when i make a purchase. sometimes i dont buy from them, but i find that most often i do. as i said, all of the plusses make it tough to buy elsewhere, as long as prices are fairly comparable.
so my list would include, probably in this order of preference:

performance
nashbar
universal cycles
ebay
jensonusa
colorado cyclist
price point
greenfish cycles.

· Administrator
13,151 Posts
Mr. Versatile said:
Bike Nashbar & Performance Bike are good, too.
Really? I would say not so much the last two years from all the angry threads posted on them. Bad and getting worse service, and sales taxes for most buyers = pass in my book. Kind of the Dell of the online dealers (and that's not good. . .)

· Registered
95 Posts
guess i've just been lucky...

as i noted previously, i've seen lots of bad feedback on both nashbar and performance here. i have to admit that it is puzzling.
but i guess i've just been very lucky, especially with performance. i've never had any of the nightmarish customer service issues with them. as i'd indicated, nashbar was so bad that i stopped buying from them for a period of time. they have definitely improved in recent years. but i have to say that i've had nothing but good experiences with performance.
that said, i do think they have changed in the last few years. they just don't have the range of merchandise they had years ago. and they don't discount the good stuff like they used to discount the good stuff. now they seem to be pushing their house brands and selected items from the lower end of the high end (if that makes sense), stuff like shimano dura ace and ultegra, etc, without offering the kind of regular sales and discounts they previously offered on a regular basis.
they seem to have made nashbar the outlet where they sell the entire range of stuff that recreational riders use. from the low end components like shimano's sora stuff, to the higher end stuff like dura ace. and the place where they do regular sales on the really decent stuff.
everyone has to base their judgments on their own experiences, obviously, and i can only say that performance has been very good for me, as a consumer, for many, many years. dont know why others have seemingly had so many problems, but i can happily say that that has not been my experience.
one thing i will add is that i do use their retail outlets quite a bit. i hardly ever simply order off the website anymore. most times, if i call in an order, i do a "red phone" order, from a store, in order to have the item delivered to the store, so i can save on shipping. that may account for fewer problems for my orders, but again, i've only been using those red phones for about 4-5 years and i've been ordering from them for about 17 years or so.
go figure...

· Misplaced priorities?
354 Posts
A few I like are:

JensonUSA - great service and some crazy deals on closeout items; especially good for MTB stuff.

sunrisecyclery.com - free shipping on parts & accessories, & them in NY + me in OH = no sales tax.

An eBay store whose name I don't quite remember. Something like ibikeandskidoyou (?) -Performance had the pedals I wanted for $90 before shipping & tax, found this seller on eBay and got them for $59 with free shipping, no tax, and received them in either 2 or 3 days!

· Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Some luck with

Average:
Jensonusa.com
Performance
Nashbar

Good:
Probikekit.com

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.