Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to start drinking more fruit juices (orange, apple), but I'm concerned about the high sugar content. I don't want my teeth to rot, and my family has a history of adult-onset diabetes. I've heard about the "good sugar vs. bad sugar" argument but I never paid much attention to it. Can someone please explain it? Non-technical, please, as my specialty is physics, not bio or nutrition.

p.s- I'm Blue Sugar, which is, of course, a good sugar.
 

·
For president!
Joined
·
7,802 Posts
There is really no such thing as good or bad sugar. Fruit has lots of fructose, which is the sugar with the most flavor, along with sucrose, or table sugar.

The bad thing about juice is that it has a lot of calories, with few benefits. To maximize your nutrients for the amount of calories you eat, you would be better off eating a piece of fruit instead of just the juice inside of it. The actual fruit has fiber, and may have more vitamins and minerals.

Silas
 

·
NeoRetroGrouch
Joined
·
6,491 Posts
Blue Sugar said:
I'd like to start drinking more fruit juices (orange, apple), but I'm concerned about the high sugar content. I don't want my teeth to rot, and my family has a history of adult-onset diabetes. I've heard about the "good sugar vs. bad sugar" argument but I never paid much attention to it. Can someone please explain it? Non-technical, please, as my specialty is physics, not bio or nutrition.

p.s- I'm Blue Sugar, which is, of course, a good sugar.
Glucose is the sugar that the body uses almost exclusively. Fructose is the predominant sugar in fruit and in the syrup used in sodas. Fructose has to be transported to the liver and changed into glucose. Table sugar is sucrose and is made up of 1 molecule each of glucose and fructose. It has to be split before being used as above. There are other sugars in milk, etc. but these are the major players. Maltodextrin (Gu) is a polymer (chain of molecules) made up of many glucose molecules. Glycogen is another glucose polymer and is how the body stores glucose. Starch (a "complex carbohydrate") is another polymer that can be made up of different sugars. All of these sugars (and polymers when broken down) provide the carbohydrate (sugar) energy needed by the body to function. None are bad.

The "good sugar" designation is given to those foods that have other valuable nutrients along with the sugar. From "bad" to "good" would be: table/brown sugar (no other nutrients), to fruit juice (lots of other nutrients), to the fruit itself (much more of the other nutrients with much less sugar).

TF
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
insulin response

Good questions, Blue. I think there is a difference in the body's response to certain types of starchy foods, eg, white bread vs whole-wheat, or milk vs soda. I have read that before, but can't explain it fully.

Can anybody clarify this? I hope this is what you were asking Blue Sugar. I'm not trying to hijack your post.
 

·
NeoRetroGrouch
Joined
·
6,491 Posts
ronniedee said:
Good questions, Blue. I think there is a difference in the body's response to certain types of starchy foods, eg, white bread vs whole-wheat, or milk vs soda. I have read that before, but can't explain it fully.

Can anybody clarify this? I hope this is what you were asking Blue Sugar. I'm not trying to hijack your post.
My understanding is that insulin response is to glycemic load. If the whole wheat bread slows the digestion of the sugar (i.e. lower glycemic index) and you ingest the same amount of sugar, then you would have a lower glycemic load. - TF
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,501 Posts
Dietary sugar content has zero influence on the development of adult onset (type II) diabetes, with the lone exception of eating too much of it and becoming obese.

Unless you are eating straight sugar and nothing else even the glycemic index is much ado about nothing since foods eaten at the same time ends up with a glycemic index that is closer to the average of everything eaten.

And in the end much of what you eat is converted to glucose anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
SilasCL said:
There is really no such thing as good or bad sugar. Fruit has lots of fructose, which is the sugar with the most flavor, along with sucrose, or table sugar.

The bad thing about juice is that it has a lot of calories, with few benefits. To maximize your nutrients for the amount of calories you eat, you would be better off eating a piece of fruit instead of just the juice inside of it. The actual fruit has fiber, and may have more vitamins and minerals.

Silas
I agree with SilasCL and so does my dietician that has taught me to eliminate any drink with calories. Man what a difference it makes. One half a cup of apple juice has the same calories as a small apple, on cup of orange juice has more calories then a banana. The choice is yours but I go for the whole fruit which contains fiber, more nutrients and micro nutrients.

By the way this advice has helped me loose a considerable amount of weight with out starving see my previous response to the following post:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=36029
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
889 Posts
tgiboney said:
I agree with SilasCL and so does my dietician that has taught me to eliminate any drink with calories. Man what a difference it makes. One half a cup of apple juice has the same calories as a small apple, on cup of orange juice has more calories then a banana. The choice is yours but I go for the whole fruit which contains fiber, more nutrients and micro nutrients.

By the way this advice has helped me loose a considerable amount of weight with out starving see my previous response to the following post:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=36029
What about beer?????????
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top