Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cycling is on the rise, but is Mass. serious about sharing the road? - Milford, MA - The Milford Daily News

It seems things are getting alot better but there is still along way to go. There were alot of deaths this year on the roads. Be carefull out there. The comments section make me sick. No tolerance and pure ignorance around here from these knuckleheads. On a good note, I never thought I'd see Boston building bike lanes. :thumbsup: Slowly things are changing for the better. The genreal public still needs alot of education about the laws and rights of cyclists on the road though.
Enjoy and have a great day. Hopefully you got to ride this weekend. :D

·
Registered
391 Posts
Where do they get these stats about cycling being on the rise? I keep seeing it but I don't notice anything different. Did Shimano have a big sales spike?

Just looked at the article. An 80 per cent increase over 11 yrs is "on the rise" in journalism circles I guess.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The numbers said roughly 12,300 people to 22,200 so an addition of about 10k seems possible. Either it was taken during school when the college scene is huge with tons on bikers or possibly the advent of bike lanes and the rental bike station stats may be the reason. It's not inconcievable that this is true since Boston has been pushing the biking and building bike lanes. A few towns around here have built paved bike trails which are extremely popular. I would like to know how the get there #s though. The one thing that irks me is the morons who post crazy comments to the article. People seem in such a rush that they can't slow down and go around bicyclists. Poeple need to chill out and take their time instead of being in a rush.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
My sister lives in Hingham Ma and would often gripe about cyclists until I started road cycling seriously again. Now she says she slows down more for them and has more patience for them...thinking of me.

I think that in her area, their problem is narrow stinking roads. Here in Illinois we don't have that issue as much...when I went out there to visit for the first time, I was shocked at how narrow the roads really were.

Now...that's not saying motorists don't need to watch out...because so many don't. I'm shocked at how people will get over for me when I'm riding 2' off the curb on a 4 lane road and the a-hole won't even move his vehicle over to the other empty lane to not come within inches of me...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.