Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, im looking for a nice tool kit without having to spend an arm and a leg. A kit durable and worthwile having.

If anybodey has any suggestions i would appreciate it thanks!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
wildkyle90 said:
Hello all, im looking for a nice tool kit without having to spend an arm and a leg.
Save your money and pass on the kit. No prepackaged kit will have all the right tools for you and your bike, without also including some that are useless to you.

Instead, census your tool needs based on the jobs you actually expect to do, then subtract the tools you already and shop for the rest.

Even better, buy only those tools you expect to need in the immediate future. Components change and the tools needed change with them, so a tool you put off buying may become obsolete (to you) before you buy it rather than after.

·
Militant commuter
881 Posts
+1 for FB's suggestion -- this has been covered a few times here, and it's very sound advice.

A trick that I used is to buy the tools needed for a specific repair job as I required them...now, 30 years later, I've got enough stuff to open my own shop! Also, buy the very best tools you can...think of them as an investment and don't cheap out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your suggestions. I too thought of what you are saying, and its sound advice i will take to heart

·
Registered
782 Posts
SilverStar said:
+1 for FB's suggestion -- this has been covered a few times here, and it's very sound advice.

A trick that I used is to buy the tools needed for a specific repair job as I required them...now, 30 years later, I've got enough stuff to open my own shop! Also, buy the very best tools you can...think of them as an investment and don't cheap out.
This is what I have done, except for 30 years worth. You can do most things with a set of hex wrenches, pliers, wire cutters and a screw driver. Beyond that i can't think what you'd need unless you have a specific job your looking to do.

I've got one of those kits full of a bunch of sizes of hex wrenches from the local giant hardware store that are just L shaped, but my next purchase will be a fancy 5mm with a nice handle.

Other things that would be good to have are:
chain breaker (you could get one as part of a multi tool that would work just fine)
cone wrenches (if you plan to service hubs that are of this style)
bottom bracket tool
cassette removal tool
chain whip
spoke wrench
repair stand

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
+2 or 3 or whatever on not buying the tool set. Just buy tools as you need them, yeah it's nice to have some on hand, but what if you never use it? So over the last 35 years I've only bought tools as needed, and this is not only for my bicycles but my automotive and around the home tools as well. Plus by buying piece by piece, especially automotive or around the house tools you can make a judgement call as to how often will you be using it thus how good of a quality tool you want to own.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts