Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of any deals out there. I want something on the long wearing side with at least above average grip. Something like a Michelin Carbon/Hutchinson Fusion (long wearing version) but cheap or slightly cheaper. How about the MIchelin Erilum its at Performance for $18 any good? thanks

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have tried the Michilen Carbons and the Specized Armadillo. Go with the carbons unless you are constantly riding over glass. I never got a flat on either, but the ride is much smoother and faster with the Carbons...

·
Registered
717 Posts
Gommitalia Calypso... get them at Excel. I have had a pair on the bike for about 1000 miles now, with no flats. They grip well in dry weaather and are great in the rain, too. $55 a pair, and they come in a cool tin, too.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
MGSuarez said:
Anyone know of any deals out there. I want something on the long wearing side with at least above average grip. Something like a Michelin Carbon/Hutchinson Fusion (long wearing version) but cheap or slightly cheaper. How about the MIchelin Erilum its at Performance for $18 any good? thanks
I've had great experience with Vittoria's. Zaffiro Pro's can be had in your price range, or Rubino Pro's for a bit more $$. Riding my Midwestern urban/suburban roads (potholes, glass, cans, etc) I've spent more $$ on highly recommended "great & durable" bike tires than I care to remember. Most all died an early death- and contributed to the ever-growing hole in my wallet. Decided to try something different- and another rider in my club suggested Vittoria's. Put on ZP's and never looked back. Most durable 700x23 I've ever tried (long wear and NO flats!). Fairly light (~230g) with decent grip in dry and adverse conditions (wet, gravel, etc). I've ridden some tires which are a little smoother or have more grip on perfect dry roads at thye limit, but none have held up my 175# on my local roads for more than 3-400mi. For training and longer club rides (metrics +) ZP's are the best I've found.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts