Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cold weather is around the corner and I’m in the need of some good warm gloves. Don’t care what they cost just some that will keep my hands warm. Tried several and none so far will stop that cold wind from penetrating. Does anyone know if there is anything new out there that will work?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
What have you tried so far, and what temperature range are you looking to stay warm in?

I have a couple of pairs that I like, but for different conditions. For "mild" cold, I like Louis Garneau's Wind Tex Eco Flex gloves. For cold cold, the Pearl Izumi Amfib gloves come out. It has to be below 35 to wear them or my hands sweat like crazy (and I have perpetually cold hands).

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
How cold? In my experience there is no such thing as a 5 finger glove, slim enough to cycle with, and will keep your hands warm below freezing or so.

Lobster claws or putting hand warmers in your gloves is the only solution as far as I can tell.

Above freezing anthing wind proof seems to work okay for me. I think it's more the wind from your speed than the actual temp that gets to you in those conditions.

·
Burnum Upus Quadricepus
2,017 Posts
Cannondale changed the name of their Windfront gloves to Slice. Same glove, just a different name. I've used them for four winters now. I have two sets. Large which I use alone down to the mid-20s, and Extra Large for colder, when I wear a set of long-fingered summer-weight gloves inside. This gets me down to around 10°F before I have to break out the lobster gloves.

I like them because they're windproof, reasonably water-resistant, warm, and have a huge snot wiper. They're fairly durable too. In daily commute use, I get at least two seasons out of each pair.

They also have a Slice Plus glove. I haven't used it so I don't know if it's better or only more expensive.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't know how much snowboarding you do, but I like to wear a good pair of boarder cross gloves. They are very warm and not bulky like regular ski gloves. And if you can't look cool wearing boarder x gloves then I don't know what to tell ya.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Hank Stamper said:
How cold? In my experience there is no such thing as a 5 finger glove, slim enough to cycle with, and will keep your hands warm below freezing or so.

Lobster claws or putting hand warmers in your gloves is the only solution as far as I can tell.

Above freezing anthing wind proof seems to work okay for me. I think it's more the wind from your speed than the actual temp that gets to you in those conditions.
Below freezing? You must be really susceptible to cold. If you'd said below zero . . .

The snowboarder gloves someone mentioned above work for me on winter comutes down to 10F or so. The tough rubberized palms make for a good grip.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ghost234 said:
For cycling I personally love these:

https://www.realcyclist.com/images/items/medium/LGN/LGN0149/BK.jpg

You can flip back the hoods on these and make it a 5 finger glove when its still mild, but when its cold you flip down the hoods and it will protect your hands from the wind while providing nice insulation.
What kind are they Ghost?
Down to 25 degrees anything below that I quit. and the gloves that I tried over the years were 2 pair from Bas Pro Shop that were worthless (about $40)and 2 or 3 from walmarts and some others. there are a lot of gloveout there that keep my hands warm until climb on my bike at about 15mi per hour and the wind seems to go right them. no problem with the rest of me just my hands.
thank all you for the quick reply. you are the best

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
I really like my Swix lobster gloves that I got from REI for about $30. They are not real bulky, block the wind nicely and are very reasonably priced. I wear them when temps drop below 40. I have some wind stopper gloves that I wear when temps are in the 40s & 50s.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts