Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had no problem getting on the bike at 5 am throughout this year...until the weather started hitting the 40's lately. Now I simply dread the thought of getting up and doing this.

Someone kick me in the backside. Energize me. I'm not done competing for the year, so I can't hybernate yet.

Disclaimer: I know you Northerners / Northeasterners are giggling inside at my idea of cold.
Mornings = dark, tired, cold = I don't like it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,713 Posts
SlowMo said:
Disclaimer: I know you Northerners / Northeasterners are giggling inside at my idea of cold.
Here in southern New England, it hasn't got down to the 40's more than once or twice yet. That make you feel better? Ping me in February when the highs are in the 20's crusty old snow is too deep to see over.

Let's see, in 4 weeks we'll go off Daylight time, so you'll get back a little of the morning. That help a little?

For motivation, think about how nice the road condtions are now, compared to the ice storm you'll get around New Year's.

If you're tired when you get up at 5 am, you need to go to sleep earlier. Easier said than done, I know.

I'm no help at all, am I? Sorry.
 

·
Teach me how to Bucky
Joined
·
465 Posts
SlowMo said:
Someone kick me in the backside. Energize me. I'm not done competing for the year, so I can't hybernate yet.
The guys you are racing against probably got up at 4am and they are going to kick your sorry ass if you dont HTFU! Now get out and ride ya Sally. :mad:



How was that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
663 Posts
Make sure you have the right gear. I'm a sissy when it comes to cold, so arm/leg warmers and a baselayer, jersey, and vest make all the difference.
 

·
Low rep power
Joined
·
6,264 Posts
40s in a few months will feel like a heat wave!
 

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
Joined
·
3,983 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
It hasn't been too cold here in New Jersey. Haven't needed booties, hat under my helmet or full fingered gloves. The problem is that it's not really light until almost 7:00 AM. Unfortunately, my job interferes with my life. Starting my ride at 5:30 still gets me to the office early enough. Starting at 7:00 means I get there late. The boss tends to notice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,745 Posts
Just jump on the trainer if you need motivation to go out. It only take a 5 pedal stokes inside on the trainer to make 40 degrees outside look pretty good to me. Trainer, now that sucks.
 

·
Baltic Scum
Joined
·
1,826 Posts
Riding early in the cold calls for extra time to gear up. I used to dread that cumbersome fumbling around for arm warmers and booties. After I went to checking the hourly forecast on weather.com the night before and laying out clothes accordingly, things got a little smoother in the morning.

Not necessarily motivational, but it might ease the pain a tad.
 

·
Resident Curmudgeon
Joined
·
11,980 Posts
Nah...I think you should stay in bed & forget about riding until warmer weather returns. I'd also recommend eating a large breakfast, maybe bacon, eggs, cheese & some pancakes with butter & syrup. That will keep you warm a cozy during the cool weather. The extra 30-40# you'll pack on will also help insulate you against winter's wrath.

If you have a physical just tell your doc that the weight gain, shortness of breath, pasty complexion & elevated cholesterol level are just temporary. They're just a cold weather phenomenon & will be gone as soon as the weather breaks, or after the holidays, whichever comes 1st.

When the warm weather returns you may feel like you'll be dragging a little, but that extra weight will come right off. In fact, if you work at it it'll probably be gone before the season is 2/3 over. Another positive to come from this is an excuse to buy some new kits. After all, your old ones won't fit & you were tired of them anyway. It'll give you something to do with all that bothersome extra cash you have cluttering up the house.

So, unlike most of the other posters I'm not going to try to talk you into getting up early & freezing your butt off on that child's toy that shouldn't be ridden on the road anyway. Nah! My suggestion is to stay in bed. You'll be lots happier in the long run.

BTW, there's no need to thank me. If you're at all grateful you might just consider sending me your bike, especially seeing as you're not going to be using it anymore.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mr. Versatile said:
Nah...I think you should stay in bed & forget about riding until warmer weather returns. I'd also recommend eating a large breakfast, maybe bacon, eggs, cheese & some pancakes with butter & syrup. That will keep you warm a cozy during the cool weather. The extra 30-40# you'll pack on will also help insulate you against winter's wrath.

If you have a physical just tell your doc that the weight gain, shortness of breath, pasty complexion & elevated cholesterol level are just temporary. They're just a cold weather phenomenon & will be gone as soon as the weather breaks, or after the holidays, whichever comes 1st.

When the warm weather returns you may feel like you'll be dragging a little, but that extra weight will come right off. In fact, if you work at it it'll probably be gone before the season is 2/3 over. Another positive to come from this is an excuse to buy some new kits. After all, your old ones won't fit & you were tired of them anyway. It'll give you something to do with all that bothersome extra cash you have cluttering up the house.

So, unlike most of the other posters I'm not going to try to talk you into getting up early & freezing your butt off on that child's toy that shouldn't be ridden on the road anyway. Nah! My suggestion is to stay in bed. You'll be lots happier in the long run.

BTW, there's no need to thank me. If you're at all grateful you might just consider sending me your bike, especially seeing as you're not going to be using it anymore.
There's that spite I was looking for! (Which bike would you like, btw?)

So far so good - the laying the clothes out the prior night is exactly what I do. However, this is a difficult task as I tend to overdress and heat up like a madman. This is a catch 22. I have the right clothes (I think), there's just no way around this in my opinion. You either start off freezing hoping things warm up, or you start sweating after about 15-20 minutes and then you try to maintain.

I can do a trainer for 1 to 2 hours several times a week, I'm just not ready to do that yet.
 

·
FastInMyMind
Joined
·
30 Posts
Trainers R not that bad

The mountain bike comes back in use now. The road bike has the trainer tire mounted on it. Blue tooth headset with HULU on the lap top. Since I seldom watch TV other than football, all the episodes are new to me. It's not so much the weather, it is the lack of daylight. MTB can at least be ridden at night without as much fear of being run over.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top