Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked this Schwinn Paramou or Paramour up at Goodwill for $50. Know anything about its age/value?
The frame is in good shape needs Paint, Rims are both a little wobbly, Rear axle is bent, so you have to rotate it a certain way to line up the wheel with the brakes.
Brake cable frayed to almost no strands, but pads were replaced not too long ago.
Crank hardly turned, it is spinning freely once the chain got cleaned. Large chain ring wobbles a bit side-to-side. Shifter good thru gears when pedaling. Front and rear derailleurs are OK and they both work. Handlebars are straight and steering is good.Did waste $50 or should fix it up.

Attachments

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
a great deal. the nuovo record rear derailleur alone is worth $50 this time of year.

without the original fork, i would probably part it out. usually, a replacement fork means the original was damaged. look for damage (bulging) along the down tube and top tube as well.

if the crankset and pedals are nuovo record as well, they might be worth $100-$150. a nice campy hubset is worth at least $60 when fully overhauled.

if you choose to use the frameset, i would fully overhaul it and make sure the frame is straight before rebuilding.

or you could sell as-is and quadruple you money pretty easily with a good craigs ad. good luck.

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,152 Posts
It's a Paramount. Schwinn's top of the line bike back in the day.
Do these have standard size parts and stuff? Seems like the cheaper Schwinns had oddball screw threads and stuff.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
Do these have standard size parts and stuff? Seems like the cheaper Schwinns had oddball screw threads and stuff.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
They are US standard for the most part, the Paramount was Schwinn's 'Euro quality" racing / touring line of bikes. "English thread" for BB and etc. Should be pretty easy to find compatible parts.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Looks like nice lugs and chrome all around. I'd head on over to the retro forum and brag a bit with more pix. Paint looks so bad that I would not worry about keeping it original. Have it stripped and re-sprayed. I like old bikes with new equipment (neo-retro so some such nonsense). That looks like the perfect starting point for a project like that.

Put a couple thousand bucks into it and you will have another bike worth 1,000-1,500. :p

Good luck and enjoy. I worked in a Schwinn shop back in the late 80s early 90s always wanted a Paramount. Congrats!

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
No kidding about spending a ton of money to get it roadworthy. A decent mechanic would enjoy going thru it, but a shop would charge an arm & a leg. Hard to tell about that front fork. If it's a Nervex crown, then it's likely original. The mismounted rear brake is a travesty. It looks a little like the "touring" version of the Paramount, with all the clearance between the tires and frame. At any rate, you could part it out (after thoroughly cleaning the parts!) and probably get six bills total.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Looks like nice lugs and chrome all around. I'd head on over to the retro forum and brag a bit with more pix. Paint looks so bad that I would not worry about keeping it original. Have it stripped and re-sprayed. I like old bikes with new equipment (neo-retro so some such nonsense). That looks like the perfect starting point for a project like that.

Put a couple thousand bucks into it and you will have another bike worth 1,000-1,500. :p

Good luck and enjoy. I worked in a Schwinn shop back in the late 80s early 90s always wanted a Paramount. Congrats!
Haha! Great reply! If OP bought it to ride and has a limited budget. In that case it appears this bike is going in a different direction? If he's a good wrench he can part it out and wait it out and make some cash back to add to the bike budget? Will take time...

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
Somebody put the rear brake on backwards and the clamp on shifter has slid down 3-4 inches. Does it have 27" wheels, or 700c???..The fork looks period.
Can't say if it's worth restoring.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.