Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which Gore-Tex treatments have you had success with?

My 12 year old Northface Mountain Light no longer repels water. Although the Gore-Tex membrane still keeps me dry, the water soaks into the outer fabric. This is not a warranty issue and I need to take care of it myself. I've cleaned it properly and have treated it with the Nikwax wash-in treatment. I treated it TWICE and both times it hasn't worked.

Before I spend money on another treatment, I was wondering if anyone has tried one that works well. Northface recommends using Tectron, which is sprayed on.

Thanks!

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Douger said:
Which Gore-Tex treatments have you had success with?

My 12 year old Northface Mountain Light no longer repels water. Although the Gore-Tex membrane still keeps me dry, the water soaks into the outer fabric. This is not a warranty issue and I need to take care of it myself. I've cleaned it properly and have treated it with the Nikwax wash-in treatment. I treated it TWICE and both times it hasn't worked.

Before I spend money on another treatment, I was wondering if anyone has tried one that works well. Northface recommends using Tectron, which is sprayed on.

Thanks!
I've never had problems with Nikwax...you need the Nikwax tech wash stuff to clean it then you spray on the water repellant. a 2 step process--Used it a few times on my Goretex jacket.

http://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/products/productdetail.php?productid=16

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks.

i did use the nikwax tech wash, but instead of the spray-on repellent, i used a nikwax wash-in repellent. you use it in the washing machine. folks at the store said "it works dude." it didn't work. i heard tectron is good.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have used nikwax spray on DWR (durable water repellent). It works for about a month then I am back where I started. No treatment is going to be as good as a factory treatment but it should last for at least a short time.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Just curious

Douger said:
My 12 year old Northface Mountain Light no longer repels water. Although the Gore-Tex membrane still keeps me dry, the water soaks into the outer fabric. This is not a warranty issue and I need to take care of it myself.
Just curious as to why this is an issue. I only care that things keep me dry, not whether the exterior fabric repels water. I've never thought about the need for the outer fabric to retain its water repellancy.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Try hanging it up and spraying it liberally with Scotch Guard or Camp Dry. Sprating a 2nd coat on wouldn't hurt either, just let it dry thoroughly 1st. A couple of spray coats will last quite a long time, and you can always reapply whenever.

·
monkey with flamethrower
821 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
Just curious as to why this is an issue. I only care that things keep me dry, not whether the exterior fabric repels water. I've never thought about the need for the outer fabric to retain its water repellancy.
When the outer fabric is thoroughly saturated with water the breathability of the fabric is radically decreased as well as the wet nylon weighs a lot.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kerry Irons said:
Sometimes it doesn't really matter, depending on what you are doing. There is the aforementioned loss of breathability. But I also use it backpacking, where dealing with a soaking wet jacket is a pain. It gets your gear and tent wet. And if it's cold that night, you end up putting on a freezing cold jacket in the morning, making the road to grumpiness a little shorter.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Rubber Lizard said:
When the outer fabric is thoroughly saturated with water the breathability of the fabric is radically decreased as well as the wet nylon weighs a lot.
+1...better to just have the coat shed the rain to start with than make the goretex layer keep the rain out.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Douger said:
making the road to grumpiness a little shorter.
Sig-worthy!

I've had the same experiences with this stuff, at best it does an "ok" job for a few uses. The kind I last tried (can't remember) is supposed to be best after it's activated by the heat from the dryer. Since it was a kayaking jacket with latex wrist gaskets, I couldn't do that, good thing it was a paddle shop that carried it...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Quit wasting time on a 12 year old jacket. Gore fabrics have improved dramatically over the years and jackets in general weigh significantly less these days than 12 years ago. You live in Canada--use that strong Loonie to buy a nice Arcteryx jacket!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.