Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I would be most careful. My single worst ebay experience was with a major online seller. Parts arrived damaged, I asked for a rebate. Only $5 offered or send back they said. I sent back & then they claimed never received. The 60 day claim period had expired. I was out about $80 with nothing to show for it. Would have been better off accepting a rebate. So file a paypal claim if you are planning on sending back, and have some kind of goods receipt.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If you got a really good deal on it, maybe it can be fixed with some leather repair stuff. If you paid full retail, then yeah.

The last time I had to return something on ebay, it turned into a big hassle over $46.

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts
maybe that's why it was on ebay at a reduced price ?.... think about it

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Is that the Antare's? How much did you end up paying for it? I've had very good luck with e-bay purchases, but never had to return anything.

·
fu
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
d365 said:
If you got a really good deal on it, maybe it can be fixed with some leather repair stuff. If you paid full retail, then yeah.

The last time I had to return something on ebay, it turned into a big hassle over $46.
$160 (including shipping) so probably not a super great deal. It's a 2009 Cervelo Team limited edition. I only got it because of the colors. I could order one directly from fi'zi:k in that color (as a custom option) but the cost is around $300 and I really don't want to spend that much.

·
Banned
605 Posts
ph0enix said:
...and despite the original packaging, it's damaged:

I guess I need to return it. UGH!!!

That is a bummer. I get a lot of stuff off 'bay. that is one of the ways I can afford to have nice gear, the other is PBK. If push comes to shove ebay should stand behind the return.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Contact the seller and tell him the goods were damaged. Send him the photos. Check the listing to see what his return policy is. Determine what you're willing to settle for. Ask him to make it right (that may mean replacement, refund, money off, whatever you're comfortable with and is within his stated return/refund policy). If the original listing said undamaged I'd stick to my guns. Make sure you know all your conditions and deadlines for filing a claim with eBay, paypal, credit card company, whatever and meet those conditions/deadlines.

If a comparable new saddle is really $300 then you got a good deal even with the tear, IMHO.

·
Registered
414 Posts
If you end up keeping it, here is some repair advice:

First, take a red permanent marker (Sharpie) and color fill the white tear. Next, saturate a cotton swab with super glue (thin not gel) and "paint" over the tear area with a single pass. Act fast since the glue will start to set quickly! Let it dry for a few minutes and then apply a second or even third coat using a fresh swab each time. Once finished, there will be an invisible hard shell coating that will prevent further tearing. I did this with my red Toupe and it worked great!

-Paul

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Ebay / Paypal has Buyer Protection in the event you don't get what is described. As it is described "brand new, undamaged", they would stand behind a claim and nullify the auction, getting you your money back. I had to use their protection clause and all went fine.

That said, if I didn't want to hassle it, I think the red marker and Super Glue method wouldn't bother me at all....just chalk it up to bad luck. Doesn't make Ebay bad.

·
fu
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oracle7775 said:
Less of a headache than dealing with the seller:

The microtex is cut/broken and I'm worried that it will spread. Don't think I haven't thought of just using the saddle the way it is.

·
fu
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Erion929 said:
Ebay / Paypal has Buyer Protection in the event you don't get what is described. As it is described "brand new, undamaged", they would stand behind a claim and nullify the auction, getting you your money back. I had to use their protection clause and all went fine.

That said, if I didn't want to hassle it, I think the red marker and Super Glue method wouldn't bother me at all....just chalk it up to bad luck. Doesn't make Ebay bad.

I'm not blaming it on ebay - I contacted the seller last night. No response so far. I'll get my money back from PayPal if worse comes to worst.

·
fu
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Salsa_Lover said:
maybe that's why it was on ebay at a reduced price ?.... think about it
Really? I've purchased many brand new items on eBay at a reduced price. Had a few issues in the past and the seller always made it right. Hopefully that will be the case this time too.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
modified suggestion

Paul1PA said:
If you end up keeping it, here is some repair advice:

First, take a red permanent marker (Sharpie) and color fill the white tear. Next, saturate a cotton swab with super glue (thin not gel) and "paint" over the tear area with a single pass. Act fast since the glue will start to set quickly! Let it dry for a few minutes and then apply a second or even third coat using a fresh swab each time. Once finished, there will be an invisible hard shell coating that will prevent further tearing. I did this with my red Toupe and it worked great!

-Paul
do this, but use quick-setting epoxy rather than superglue. It will make a much tougher and more flexible coating. And don't use a cotton swab, which can leave fibers in the glue. Use a toothpick, or a tiny artists paintbrush.

·
Third Coast Colnago
363 Posts
bikerjulio said:
I would be most careful. My single worst ebay experience was with a major online seller. Parts arrived damaged, I asked for a rebate. Only $5 offered or send back they said. I sent back & then they claimed never received. The 60 day claim period had expired. I was out about $80 with nothing to show for it. Would have been better off accepting a rebate. So file a paypal claim if you are planning on sending back, and have some kind of goods receipt.
This is what happened with me last year with Harbor Country Bike.

http://www.harborcountrybike.com/

I ordered a Rolls saddle and they sent me a ladies' Terry saddle. I talked and I sent it back. I never heard from them again. $100. Should have used Pay Pal.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts