Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Boobies!
8,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Truth be told--doing this as a favor for a friend.

Macbook Pro (2010) 15" solid body version. I've now got it cleaned up (drive, updates, tune up, etc--more or less translating PC skills into new words)--so that's all good.

Two problems--it has a dead battery--I mean really dead. Shows as not there on the system information--no cycle count or whatever. I gather that the "geniuses" at Apple do not let you buy the OEM battery, and AFAIK they no longer will replace it themselves.

Anyone purchase an aftermarket battery, and if so from whom? (Not afraid of taking it apart--I used to do this for a living!)

Second question--it is running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 Now that I got the update 'unstuck' and have done all the updates, it seems to be stable and run well.

I did think it may be worth it to upgrade the OSX--and found this thread:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7291037?start=0&tstart=0

choices seem to be Mountain Lion (for $20)
or directly to El Capitan for free

So question is--will the machine run El Capitan (stock 4 gb of memory), and is it worth doing?

Edit to add: I have read in passing that sometimes the battery registration issue is solved with a newer OS--the owner of this is a light user, so I'm surprised that she would have stressed/worn out a battery already...

·
Registered
518 Posts
Other World Computing is one of the more reliable sources for Mac parts although I use Crucial for memory. I'd change the battery and consider upgrading to 8GB RAM.

Unless the Macbook Pro has been upgraded to a SSD I'd stay with 10.6.8. Above 10.6.8 OSX started to become optimized for an SSD and becomes extremely slow with a moving media HD.

·
Boobies!
8,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Other World Computing is one of the more reliable sources for Mac parts although I use Crucial for memory. I'd change the battery and consider upgrading to 8GB RAM.

Unless the Macbook Pro has been upgraded to a SSD I'd stay with 10.6.8. Above 10.6.8 OSX started to become optimized for an SSD and becomes extremely slow with a moving media HD.
Interesting--that's three out of four on the battery recommendations (the Lizone I can see on US Amazon, but it gets somewhat mixed reviews) are for Newertech Nupower...

I'm a big fan of Crucial memory as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.