Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
ab aeterno
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a brand new fuji cross online. I've only bought used before. I've greased the chain and fitted the bike to me. Am I ready to ride or is there more to do?

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
pump up the tires and go, but slowly at first

TheDon said:
I just bought a brand new fuji cross online. I've only bought used before. I've greased the chain and fitted the bike to me. Am I ready to ride or is there more to do?
Pump the tires up and hop on. Only precaution I'd suggest is to do a few circles in the playground or somewhere to be sure the brakes and derailleurs are adjusted right. I've never had any trouble with new bikes, but it's possible, and it's better to find out when you're pedaling easily with no cars (or witnesses) around than when you're screaming down Dead Cyclist Hill

·
classiquesklassieker
3,106 Posts
Check the build.

TheDon said:
I would check to see that everything is built according to safety specs. That includes checking all the bolts to see that they are torqued to spec, and inflating the tires properly. Also check to see that the drivetrain is adjusted (tuned) properly.

Hate to sound paranoid, but there are few things more silly than rolling off your driveway, starting your first turn, and realizing that the stem bolts are loose and have your handlebar and front wheel point in different directions. I've seen it happen.

Or the saddle scooting off the seatpost. Or the seatpost slipping down. Or shifting to the largest gear and having the derailleur run into the spokes and killing your wheelset on the first ride. Yep.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
First of all get that grease off the chain.

TheDon said:
You need chain lube not grease there.

Your best bet is to take it into a bike shop and pay them to look it over. Tell them you would like it to be checked for safety and function. Be honest and they are likely to treat you fine.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
I agree with all the above comments, but at the very least, follow the advice on the tightening of the bolts. I usually go over the bike and back out the bolts and then torque them back down with a torque wrench. Didn't used to do this but after my handlebars came loose one time I found it to be quite the easy and safe touch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts