Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Anti-Hero
10,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got hired last week at a local bike shop (actually, it's got a lot of outdoors stuff, but a nice bike shop as well). I'm going to take the place of one of the mechanics that's moving to Nashville in a week. I know it's early yet, but, damn, I'm having a great time! The manager is awesome, too- he's super nice, really supportive of my racing/training, and doesn't mind working the schedule around it.

I'm off today, and I'm kinda missing it.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
No more teaching, or are you doing this in addition to teaching?

joe

·
Good news everyone!
5,452 Posts
With your extensive resume as a trail sanitation engineer you were a shoe in for the job for sure.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,883 Posts
Colloquialism police!

That's shoo-in.

Congrats, Andrea! Enjoy the wrenches.

Jim311 said:
With your extensive resume as a trail sanitation engineer you were a shoe in for the job for sure.

·
slow rider
385 Posts
Introducing the new "Shop Girl"! That ahasome.

·
slow rider
385 Posts
I live close enough, I might have to start going to Memphis for stuff.

·
Ricardo Cabeza
19,731 Posts
Andrea138 said:
Got hired last week at a local bike shop (actually, it's got a lot of outdoors stuff, but a nice bike shop as well). I'm going to take the place of one of the mechanics that's moving to Nashville in a week. I know it's early yet, but, damn, I'm having a great time! The manager is awesome, too- he's super nice, really supportive of my racing/training, and doesn't mind working the schedule around it.

I'm off today, and I'm kinda missing it.
The one on Union?

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
I'm glad to hear that you have a job that you are happy with but how are the pay and benefits? I worked in the bike business for 32 years and had nothing to show for it except a few nice bikes and a tiny 401K.

10 years in the real world (and saving like mad and being really, really lucky) allowed us to retire in some style.

It is great to enjoy the now but you gotta think of the future too.....

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Creakyknees said:
do you work on Treks?
Treks don't need to be worked on.

//Only sentences ended with prepositions do.

///Drat!

Congrats on the new gig. So this part of a career change?

·
Anti-Hero
10,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Andy69 said:
The one on Union?
Mostly Cordova, but rumor has it, I'll go to Union to fill in when they need me to.

...and MB1, the pay is crap, and there are no benefits, but I've got a bit of money saved/invested from my previous job, and Mr. 138 makes some pretty nice bank, and has been incredibly disciplined in saving/investing since he graduated college, so we're still watching out for those sorts of things.

·
Review RoadBike Member
1,561 Posts
I loved my job at the bike shop. I always told my wife I would quit and work there full time if I could have afforded to.

Unfortunately, the shop closed and moved to a new location 100miles from my home back in January. I still head over there from time to time for odds and ends and an occasional new bike, but all of my bikes bling factor has been reduced due to the loss.

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
let me know when they do a feature article about u in "Bicycling"

1 - 20 of 26 Posts