Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a bike that I really like on a special price at Performance and the frame size is 56. My height is 5'7'' and they were recommending the 54 for me. I was wondering if there is anything I can do to so I can ride it comfortably without any problems.

Can you cut the frame? Lower the seatpost all the way down?

Thanks in advance.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,123 Posts
I would go down in size. 54 to 52 is right for your size. You can get a much shorter stem, but it probably won't be enough. If you get a bike you're not comfortable on, you won't ride it, and that'll be throwing your money away.

·
Man, I'm Awesome
2,203 Posts
A bike that does not fit is not a good deal, no matter the price.

Would you buy a pair of Nike's that were two sizes too big because they were 20% off?

The 56 would probably be too big for you. I bet you would not even be able to stand flat footed with the top tube between your legs.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
buying that bike is a good way to make you hate ridding. A good price never equals a bad fit.

I picked up a cyclocross bike that is a little too small for me because i got it for a song. I'm 5'-9" with a 30.25 inseam and the bike is a 52cm. Too small. Sure i can still whoop some butt on it but i've gone over the bars a bit more then i should. My two normal road bikes are a 53.5 and a 54.

go to several shops, have them fit you to a bike and see how they feel. Take some good notes (including what size they are) If need be, test ride some of them several times on diffrent days. Test, test test then buy.

what is your inseam? Unless you've got long legs i'm guessing the 54 is a bit on the big side for you.
Blindly guessing based on your height alone i'd grab you a 52 before a 54 for certain. Perhaps a 53

·
Registered
75 Posts
I just bought (last Saturday) a 54cm Fuji Newest 4.0, My first bike in 25-30 years. I'm 5' 8" and "the boys" do not touch the top tube when flat footed BUT, I could have went down to a 53, that would have gave me an inch clearance. I'm a 31-32 inseam.

Tom

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.