Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has a road bike and two mountain bikes, one of the MTB's is a hardtail and general use bike. She had been on the search for the perfect saddle for her road bike and has settled on the Arione. Of course after riding that saddle she found the one's on her MTB's to be too wide. So she ended up getting another Arione for her hardtail, which sees a lot of inclement weather on the road and is the primary bike mounted to the trainer. Now the problem is her other MTB, it's a FS XC Gary Fisher Sugar , and we're not certain what saddle to mount on that bike. We've thought about another Arione, but wonder if it could handle the rigors of MTB'n. She really needs something about the same width and I'd assume same type of shape. What do people here use on their MTB's that run an Arione on their road bikes. I know we can go and buy a few to try, but she already palyed that game with the road bike and wants to limit the amount of saddles she goes through. Not to mention that the Sugar really doesn't see a lot of action, but it definitely will see very little with the saddle it has right now.

Thanks,
Rich

·
Registered
804 Posts
I ride the Fizik Gobi on my MTB and have ridden Ariones on the road for a couple years. I may like the Gobi better...

·
Registered
123 Posts
rbart4506 said:
My wife has a road bike and two mountain bikes, one of the MTB's is a hardtail and general use bike. She had been on the search for the perfect saddle for her road bike and has settled on the Arione. Of course after riding that saddle she found the one's on her MTB's to be too wide. So she ended up getting another Arione for her hardtail, which sees a lot of inclement weather on the road and is the primary bike mounted to the trainer. Now the problem is her other MTB, it's a FS XC Gary Fisher Sugar , and we're not certain what saddle to mount on that bike. We've thought about another Arione, but wonder if it could handle the rigors of MTB'n. She really needs something about the same width and I'd assume same type of shape. What do people here use on their MTB's that run an Arione on their road bikes. I know we can go and buy a few to try, but she already palyed that game with the road bike and wants to limit the amount of saddles she goes through. Not to mention that the Sugar really doesn't see a lot of action, but it definitely will see very little with the saddle it has right now.

Thanks,
Rich
Have you tried the Terry Butterfly Ti? My GF has one on her MTB (Gary Fisher Supercaliber) and loves it. Tried it on her road bike and hated it. May try the Arione and see how she likes that. Good luck!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Try the Gobi but...

Try the Gobi but, in my experience, it isn't a very robust saddle. Very comfortable though. The newer ones may have the cordura scuff guards but the one I have on my mountain bike doesn't and is quite torn up. I've also broken the its 'wing flex', the result of which is one side being more flexible than the other. ;)

From what I can see, the Arione and the Gobi have very similar dimensions. Go for it and you can always sell the Gobi to me at a discount if she doesn't like it.

Laifer

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Laifer69 said:
Try the Gobi but, in my experience, it isn't a very robust saddle. Very comfortable though. The newer ones may have the cordura scuff guards but the one I have on my mountain bike doesn't and is quite torn up. I've also broken the its 'wing flex', the result of which is one side being more flexible than the other. ;)

From what I can see, the Arione and the Gobi have very similar dimensions. Go for it and you can always sell the Gobi to me at a discount if she doesn't like it.

Laifer
We picked up a Gobi and have it mounted on the MTB, but she hasn't had a chance to ride it on the trails yet....It's either been to darn cold and or too warm and the trails are goo...On the trainer it's seems to fit ok, but you never know until you've been on it for a few hours...

Rich

1 - 6 of 6 Posts