Frog Whisperer
40,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
decided I needed some silver nameplates for my top-tube

·
Frog Whisperer
40,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well sure I made em....I've been planning on doing it for a long time, just had to sit down and do it. I started with a sheet of 18 gauge silver, about 6 by 8 inches and sawed out two strips 20mm x like 78 mm and trued them up with a file and polished the edges. I wasn't sure how i was going to bend them but as it turned out, the inside radius of a piece of 1 inch pipe was perfect, so I split a pipe in half , layed em in and taped a steel mandrel in on them....I was going to hand engrave them, but...I just went for the machine, I might make a different set later

·
Frog Whisperer
40,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BentChainring said:
Can you investment cast silver at home?
yes.....you mean me personally?
I have casting equipment.

edit....hehehehehehe I didn't realize it was that old.....he gonna have a hangover this morning....lol

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,677 Posts
And after 3 years...STILL no pxxtures. Fail.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Room 1201 said:
And after 3 years...STILL no pxxtures. Fail.
there were pix BUT I dumped them after a couple of years...lol
I also took them off my bike when I put my custom, hand carved head badge on it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Gimme details....

Touch0Gray said:
there were pix BUT I dumped them after a couple of years...lol
I also took them off my bike when I put my custom, hand carved head badge on it.
I'm sitting here looking out at the snow thinking about a project (other than repainting the entire goddam house, which I've been putting off for years), almost desperate enough to strip my singlespeed and haul it down to the powder coater so I can finally use those Rivendell "Resurrectio" decals, and suddenly here's just the tantalizing hint of something on which I can waste a lot of time and not actually accomplish anything ...
I do a lot of wood working, but have no experience with metal other than replacing the flashing around my chimney every year (and I'll keep doing it until I get it right!). Was there a previous thread on this to inspire me to spend yet more money on expensive materials and tools I'll never use again?

·
Frog Whisperer
40,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
CoryF said:
I'm sitting here looking out at the snow thinking about a project (other than repainting the entire goddam house, which I've been putting off for years), almost desperate enough to strip my singlespeed and haul it down to the powder coater so I can finally use those Rivendell "Resurrectio" decals, and suddenly here's just the tantalizing hint of something on which I can waste a lot of time and not actually accomplish anything ...
I do a lot of wood working, but have no experience with metal other than replacing the flashing around my chimney every year (and I'll keep doing it until I get it right!). Was there a previous thread on this to inspire me to spend yet more money on expensive materials and tools I'll never use again?
so what are we making?

·
Frog Whisperer
40,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
CoryF said:
roads were clear and mostly dry, temps in the mid 40's I went for a ride. 18 miles, 10 of it into a 20+ mph head wind

I got a project for you, costs very little, all you need to do is make some tiny little chisels and figure out how to hold the metal (tip, glue it to a block of wood)
silver is cheap enough. This kept me busy for many hours!

·
waterproof*
41,602 Posts
didja glue it to the headtube?

will you make me a gold nameplate for my top tube on my blingy gold Cdale? wife said she doesn't need any trinkets.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yes it's glued, silicone....that way you can get it off with no damage to either (saw it off with dental floss believe it of not)

and SURE I can, you talking 10, 14 18, or 24 kt gold...LOL
or just gold colored.....

·
Frog Whisperer
40,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
that would work very well
or small broken files.
I buy mine pre-made then modify the shape if necessary.

Remember, the sharper, the better, and too thin an edge will snap off, wet grinding is best to not overheat.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts