Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=2275

I have the above cleats... Now what shoes should I buy. I like the option of riding on both sides and I like the flexibility of a Mtm shoe. Yes they are going on a road bike. Its this strange??? I realize a lot of folks do it...

So what shoes should I buy?. Looking for a deal but don't want to sacrifice comfort or quality. Also, I rather not buy from my LBS because they have nothing on sale. It looks like I can save 50% on line...

Thanks all.....

·
Registered
388 Posts
I think it might be a reach to say a lot of people do it...but maybe not where you live....If I were you and assuming this is your first shoe....I would go to a couple local stores and see what fits you and then look online if you are hell bent on saving money...cycle shoes are like any other shoes some will fit well some wont..e.g. I fit shimanos great...sidis are to narrow and the wides are too wide....i'll never wear them unless they come out with something for me that fits....get it? happy hunting....

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I've ordered a lot of footwear on line. I have ordered online often because either (1) I don't have a choice locally, or (2) I still save a lot of money even with return shipping. It's not ideal but it can work and save you money.

As far as it's worth, I am totally against trying on locally and ordering on line, unless the local store just doesn't have the size or color you need after you made a good faith effort to buy from them.

To order on line, make your best guess at your size and, based on your own best judgment, order a second pair, a 1/2 Euro size larger or smaller (or both if you're really uncertain). Often, for example with Performance, the shipping charge maxes out at a price which makes the shipping on the second or third pair free anyway. Of course you'll have to try them on and then return the ones that don't fit, but if the price is right you'll still save a bunch of money. Only you can figure out if it's worth it compared to local prices where you have a chance to actually try them on and only pay for the one that fits.

For example, I have just completed purchase of some road shoes, but I have done this with a lot of different things over the years. In the past month or so, I purchased 4 different pairs: two sizes each of two different brands (Sidi and Diadora)**. I've returned three pairs because I did find one that fits really well, and definitely fits better than all the others. I calculate I paid about $25 in excess shipping, both ways, total. It really doesn't cost a whole lot to return a pair of shoes, about $5-$8 depending on where you live, a buck or two more to return two pair. With all the extra shipping, the extreme value I got through a close out sale on line totals about $155 ($130 + $25) I still save a LOT of money over buying the same grade / level of shoes locally for $300 or more. Worth the hassle, and I tried on 4 pair of shoes, like I said and was able to compare sizes and two different brands. I wouldn't have any more than a couple of different brands to look at locally anyway.

US companies I've used that often have good close out or sale prices on cycling shoes and have very reasonable shipping charges, and a total satisfaction guarantee return policy (i.e. no risk) are Performance Bike, Sierra Trading Post and Backcountry Outlet. There are many others, just check on the return policy first. There are many UK companies that also have really excellent prices on shoes, and great return policies and cheap or free shipping charges, but I would imagine the cost to return would be prohibitive. Two UK companies I've used with excellent luck are ProBikeKit.com and Wiggle.co.uk. Again, there are others.

As for brand, I can't make any recommendations. I've used Specialized Comp MTB shoes and SPD pedals on my road bike for 15 years. Nothing wrong with it. I'm giving road shoes and pedals a try this year just because at my age if I don't try it now, I'll never know if it's worthwhile at all, so I thought I'd give it a shot. Also at my age, I decided for the first time in my bike shoe history, to buy upper (not top though) end stuff (Sidi 5.5) rather than go with lower end stuff again. On the other hand, I was always very happy with the quality of my Specialized Comp.

** just as a point of interest, here's what I found for sizing. I used the Sidi fitting guide available on their web site and the Diadora chart. I wear US 9 or 9.5. The Sidi fitting guide (a measuring tape) showed me too big for 42.5, apparently right on for 43. I ordered 43 and 43.5. Diadora chart indicated 42.5 or 43, I was uncertain, so I ordered both. Here's what I found:

Sidi: 43 fit perfect (just as the chart predicted). 43.5 was definately too big. I'm sure 42.5 would have been too small.

Diadora: 42.5 was a touch too tight, especially in the toes. Just a tiny bit tighter than the Sidi 43s, very close though. 43 Diadora was huge on me, all over from the heel to the toe. Definitely bigger than the 43 Sidis.

So Diadora 42.5 ~ Sidi 42.75 (if they made them)
Diadora 43 ~ Sidi 43.25 (if they made them).

That's why it's important to try different brands, because the niche needed for your particular foot might be better served by one brand or another.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Muaythaibike said:
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=2275

I have the above cleats... Now what shoes should I buy. I like the option of riding on both sides and I like the flexibility of a Mtm shoe. Yes they are going on a road bike. Its this strange??? I realize a lot of folks do it...

So what shoes should I buy?. Looking for a deal but don't want to sacrifice comfort or quality. Also, I rather not buy from my LBS because they have nothing on sale. It looks like I can save 50% on line...

Thanks all.....
Most people call those "pedals". "Cleats" are what you bolt to the shoe. They click into the pedal.

You want some mountain bike shoes that take SPD cleats since those are SPD pedals.

Yes you can save 50% by buying on line but factor in your time and hassle sending shoes back until you get ones that fit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts