Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But not too bad. Out for ride this morning before work in Palmdale, cruising westbound on Elizabeth Lake road when some dumb lady going eastbound decides to make a left turn onto a side road that I just happened to be approaching. Luckily she went wide eyed and saw me at the last second, locked up the brakes and came to a skidding halt into my left leg. Somehow got out of it with no damage to myself or the bike, but i shudder to think how bad it could have been if she didn't see me. Anyways, be safe out there folks:thumbsup:

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
That was way too close. You almost became a hood ornament.

·
corning my own beef
5,721 Posts
wowsers ..... evidently, you'd accumulated some good karma -- and it got used during the time the gal's pucker factor went off the charts.

·
Registered
164 Posts
glad you're ok. same thing happened to me, only it was a campervan, and the woman didn't see me at all. Thankfully I was most of the way past her before she hit me. I got away with a shattered elbow..I still imagine hitting the side of that van and shattering my head.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Glad you're okay

Agreed by all that riders have to assume they don't see you or won't see you.

I got hit from the side a couple of months ago by a woman going from a parking garage on one side of the street to a parking lot on the other side. She told I was in her blind spot. Since I got t-boned, that would have been her windshield. Go figure and that one I did not expect. Fortunately only some road rash, ruined pedal and out of true wheel.

Yeah, better lucky than good sometimes.

coop said:
But not too bad. Out for ride this morning before work in Palmdale, cruising westbound on Elizabeth Lake road when some dumb lady going eastbound decides to make a left turn onto a side road that I just happened to be approaching. Luckily she went wide eyed and saw me at the last second, locked up the brakes and came to a skidding halt into my left leg. Somehow got out of it with no damage to myself or the bike, but i shudder to think how bad it could have been if she didn't see me. Anyways, be safe out there folks:thumbsup:

·
Registered
792 Posts
I was about 1 foot from the same scenario today. The guy was on his phone (now illegal here). I gave him the finger, followed by a hang up your phone symbol. He nodded. At least he knew he was wrong.
You really do have to assume people won't see you. Glad to hear you're ok.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Yup, you were lucky. But even if you assume you won't be seen, one can't ride around flinching at every car that goes by. I was broadsided by an old lady doing the same thing back in late Jan- concussion, multiple stitches, stress fracture in my leg I'm still recovering from. The bike was totaled and it was only a month old- a Xmas present to myself. The insurance claim is still grinding along even tho her company accepted all fault. I'm going stir crazy waiting to start riding again.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Glad you're OK. Getting hit by a car is no fun. I got hit last Jan, for the 1st time in 48 years of riding. It wasn't fun. I hope it's the last time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Evidentally the left turn into a cyclist is the most common of all car v bike accidents. I was hit in March. The result was a broken neck, serious concussion, road rash, messed up shoulder, destroyed bike and gear. I am still recovering and dealing with the neck and concussion, but everything else is getting better. I am hoping to get medical clearance this month and then plan on buying a bike.

·
downhill quickly
755 Posts
While difficult to read these subject threads at least glad that the OP is writing…

For me; If I can’t lock eyes I’m locking front break and for those past my periphery or behind me…good road manners, a bright Canari jersey and the Lord’s prayer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Aftermath of a car mooshing you can take awhile to show completely. I was hit over 3 weeks ago and thought the damage to my ride and the ankle stitches was it. Last Tuesday I was in the shower and was trying to scrub what I thought was dirt off my foot. When I put on my glasses I quickly became alarmed as the sides of my foot had large patches of purple and black. (I'm a diabetic so I react to foot problems ) A quick trip to the Drs office and I find I had a large hematoma in my calve muscle and pieces of it were traveling via my lymphatic system and depositing in my foot. Cosmetic is what I was told the discoloration was. The calve though required 2 incisions and the Doc got over 1 cup of jelled blood out, over the next 4 days I got to go in daily and have it unpacked and forcefully drained and walk around with it leaking fluid into piles of gauze under the tight wrapping they wrapped around my leg. I'm hoping the wrapping is why my ankle and foot are so swollen and get to not to ride for at least 2 more weeks. Uggg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.