Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As soon as I left the parking lot of my house I knew I was in trouble today...

First- My legs did not feel very strong today.
Second- It is over 100 degrees outside.
Thrid- My first light I was caught at some guy flipped me off and yelled something at me (hope I knew him or really pissed him off at some point) and it didn't help I had to pull off into the gravel to clip in because the thug behind me made me nervous. Lord knows nobody can get clipped in while nervous.
Fourf- I only made it ten miles before I thought I was going to hurl because of the heat!
Fif- I am a big p*ssy.

Thank you for any guidance.

· "Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
Fear not bike rider...........

thpeyton said:
Fif- I am a big p*ssy.

Thank you for any guidance.

For you are in good company. I have plenty of days like that, especially in the summer heat. Last Monday (July 3) at 2 pm I rode my bike to work in the sweltering heat. It was like riding into a blast furnace with the 15 mph headwind. My commute is only 7 measily miles and by the time I got there I thought I was going to croak. I was drenched with sweat and so wasted trying to keep my speed up, I was dizzy and probably on the verge of heat exhaustion. I had forgotten my water bottle too, and did not want to stop, so that probably added to it. It completely sucked My average speed trickled down from 16 to 12.4 mph.

Jesus what a bad ride, and it was only 7 miles, Damn!!!

When I got off at midnight it was great. No headwind, lot cooler, and I zinged home at my usually comfortable 16-17 mph.

· Registered
160 Posts
Maybe it's a pandemic!

I guess misery loves company because it gives me some comfort knowing I am not the only one who felt horrible on a ride this week.

I decided to ride to work on Friday (we work a 4-10 schedule and I was going out on my own time) which I can't do on a normal work day so I was pretty excited. It's 20 miles of flat hot and humid. I left the house without eating breakfast and realized that was a mistake at about the 15 mile point. I made it though, and after a few hours headed back. By this time it was REALLY hot and REALLY humid and the protein Powerbars I had for lunch were not getting along very well. Down here (Texas gulf coast) one of the worst things about summer is the smells that evelope you as you ride. Between the stench of mold and garbage and the nauseating smell of rotting animals sometimes I hold my breath when I go through areas I know are bad. Oh, anyway the legs were screaming my waterbottle was empty and puddles of sweat formed in my shoes before I got home. I drank as much water as fast as possible (with Gatorade mixed as appropriate) and still got cramps. All in all it made me wonder if I am too old for this. Oh well there's always tomorrow. (that was today, and I had a great 30 mile recovery effort level ride. It put a smile on my face)

Thanks for the kinship.

· CarbonFrame
401 Posts
Crappy Ride

I had a crappy ride a few days back also. I got stung on the thigh by a bee within 1 minute of leaving the house, traffic was unusually heavy, it was really hot and I got a flat...but I was thinking at least I was lucky enough to be out riding!

· "Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
Becky Thatcher said:
45 looms like a dark cloud on the horizon. Strangely I dread my 45th birthday more than my 40th. My body seems to be seeking revenge for the abuses of the past.
45??........hell, I'm 50....LOL...........It's no longer about revenge my body is after,.......it's a reckoning!!...ha

hell, two summers ago I use to ride 50 miles in heat like this,..........now I can't even ride 7 miles!.........jeez, I need to give it up.:D

· SoCal--S Beach to the Dam
1,032 Posts
Many a time i'll have dead legs and figure i'll just do a 10 miler or so and 9 out of 10 times they come around and i'll do 20.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.