Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was pretty lame, and the cop didn't seem to like me too much.

Basically, I rolled up to a stop sign behind a truck just as it was taking off, so I was coasting up to the stop just keeping enough momentum to keep upright. So as soon as I get to the up to the line another car pulls up to the stop, and procedes to go, just as I am pedaling out to the middle of the street. He starts to turn left, into me, so I swerve out of the way and almost hit the curb. Before my mouth got the better of me, I realized that it was a cop (it was dark). He yelled stop out the window, so I did. He makes a u-turn and pulls up next to me and yells "You have to obey the laws of traffic!"

I asked him what I did wrong, and he said that I didn't stop. I told him that I did stop, but just long enough so I wouldn't fall over without uncliping. And there were no cars crossing, or even at the other stop signs.

He told me that I didn't stop, that I had blown through the stop sign, and that he should give me a ticket, because I am held to the same rules of the road that a car is.

I told him that I did stop, and that he didn't even have his blinker on when he nearly turned into me.

Long story short, cops don't like it when you point out that they, like all human beings, are subject to error. After he threatened me with a ticket again, I aoplogized, and listened to him preach to me for another min. or two about bicycle safety. Then I'm pretty sure that he made fun of my helmet, and he left.

joe

·
Registered
70 Posts
no ticket!

Hey Joe,
if i read it right you didn't get the ticket.....nice work. i've been "talked to" on more than a few occasions, but as long as you don't get defiant and let them go off on the rules of the road for a bit they let you off w/o the fine. good job on that. i'm sure that you, as do most of us, practice extra special cycling law abiding when you notice a police car....but sometimes they just pop up out of thin air (not that i'm advocating lawless cycling :rolleyes: ). be safe out there!

Rash

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope. No ticket. :D

Anyway, IMO, he had no reason to give me one. I think he didn't see me and I scared him with the near hit, and he was frustrated.

joe

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
Cops. They used to be beautiful.

I was pulled over by a cop in the Marina a few weeks ago for riding too far out to the left. I was already kind of pissed because 1) Two cyclists were killed in Malibu when they were mowed over by a catering truck going 60+ in a 45, and the cops responded by saying they would crack down on cyclists riding two or more abreast, and 2) On the very ride during which I'd been pulled over, I was cut off by three different cars.

So I just started arguing with him. And I learned a few things, most of which I've already figured out through other dealings with cops:

1) Cops can never, ever be wrong about anything.
2) Cops know everything.
3) Cops have 20/20 vision and impeccable perception.
4) Cops must always have the upper hand. If they let you go, it's because they're willing to, not because they're wrong or because it's all b.s. to begin with. You will never, ever hear a cop say, "Yeah, you're right. Sorry for wasting your time."
5) Given the aforementioned, if they let you go they will always give you some lame reason for doing so, just so you know they're not acquiescing: "I'd write you up, but then I'd have to spend all night doing the paperwork."

My favorite line from my conversation with the cop who pulled me over:

Cop: You need to be riding by the curb.
Me: It's more dangerous. The road is rough, and if I get my tire caught in a crack I'm going down.
Cop: Then you need to learn to ride a bike better.

Another one:

Me: If I ride further out from the curb, I'm more visible to drivers.
Cop: Get a headlight.

It was daytime.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Cops in Ireland

The cops are called "Gardai" here and I haven't had any hassle from them.They're great at helping at the road races. I have one story though.......
One day a group of about seven or eight of us rounded a bend and there were two of them stopping all traffic.There was some kind of Victorian parade going on with horses + carts and people all dressed up in period costumes. Four of the cyclists just ignored them and cycled on through - slowing to avoid scaring the horses. I stopped and unclipped and one of the cops started to give the old "cyclists are subject to traffic laws" sermon. "Do you people know the traffic act? " he demanded as his face got redder. One of the lads answered "No- is it good?" and then HE took off through the parade. The other followed but I was still standing there. I got a real lecture until I pointed out that I had ( and was the only one) who had obeyed his instructions from the start. The second cop thought this was funny and this didn't help his partner's temper at all. Eventually he let me go with the rest of the traffic.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
comsense said:
The cops are called "Gardai" here and I haven't had any hassle from them.They're great at helping at the road races. I have one story though.......
One day a group of about seven or eight of us rounded a bend and there were two of them stopping all traffic.There was some kind of Victorian parade going on with horses + carts and people all dressed up in period costumes. Four of the cyclists just ignored them and cycled on through - slowing to avoid scaring the horses. I stopped and unclipped and one of the cops started to give the old "cyclists are subject to traffic laws" sermon. "Do you people know the traffic act? " he demanded as his face got redder. One of the lads answered "No- is it good?" and then HE took off through the parade. The other followed but I was still standing there. I got a real lecture until I pointed out that I had ( and was the only one) who had obeyed his instructions from the start. The second cop thought this was funny and this didn't help his partner's temper at all. Eventually he let me go with the rest of the traffic.
that's funny

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Thing to remember about police officiers.....

...is that they don't actually want to issue tickets to cyclists. That is because if the cyclist fights the ticket the officer has to show up at the hearing also or the judge will just throw the ticket out. Even if the officer does show up the ticket is more likely than not to be thrown out if the cyclist has any sort of resonable explanation.

Not an easy thing being a police officer.

FWIW DC is full of cops on bikes and they break every traffic law there is (just like all the other cyclists).

·
Cipo's long lost cousin
975 Posts
Glad there was no ticket

Usually if you argue then your bound to get the ticket! Lucky you!

I got pulled over for the first time in 6+ years of bike commuting several months ago. Part of my commute includes a four lane road where the car traffic is typical 50 - 60 MPH. I am forced to cross two lanes to a left turn lane where a light lets me make my turn off the road and into an office complex where I work. The pavement sensors are often finicky at this light and, admittedly I'm not too fond of having four lanes of cars whizzing by me at 7:30am thus I run the light as standard practice.

When the cop pulled me over I pretty much played "mr. nice guy" but did comment on the pavement sensor. He acted a little suprised and I could tell that he never considered the fact that I might not be able to trip the left turn light. With that he let me go.

Next I had to face the wrath of a half dozen co-workers who had gawked at me as they pulled into work that morning...

·
Registered
65 Posts
I don't wanna upset anyone, but basically, I think there are two primary categories of cops:

(1) The guys who used to be bullies when they were kids
(2) The guys who used to get beat up by the bullies when they were kids

I'm sure there are a few good law enforcement men & women out there, but, in my first-hand experience, this is my general impression of your average cop. On the other hand, they are usually (very) underpaid people who take on enormous risks to protect and serve. If cops received a decent wage, I think we'd have much higher qualified people on "the force" than what we have now.

I should run for President, or something.

·
What'd I do?
1,775 Posts
But heads up if you're riding on one of the two days a year they enforce sidewalk rules, one way streets and red lights for the bikes. When I was a messenger in DC last summer, I got a warning, and a friend of mine got a ticket for riding on the sidewalk. The cop (reserve or academy, I can't remember) was standing on the corner of a park that many couriers use as a shortcut. Another time, I rode with a bike cop for about ten minutes on my way home, and I followed as he led the way through every red light we encountered.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
I am a narc. Since moving to Hawaii, I have developed a relationship with the police precincts that commuting route crosses. I have the cell phone numbers of the narcotic detective and a captain programmed into my cell phone. I can call in suspicious activity (after I am far away) to either one and it will be investigated. The police cannot be everywhere at once and I am hurtling through the dark in bad areas at 5 am. I see alot and make no noise. I never thought that I would be in this position, but every bad guy that I help get locked up is one less that everyone else on the MUT has to deal with. The MUT I use is so isolated from any major road that the police have to use helicopters to patrol. They did recently hire six bike cops and purchased the bikes. They should be out there within two months and I can just keep my eyes forward.

·
59 Posts
Sorry I couldn’t resist....

I am glad you did not receive a ticket.

Commuting content - Karma just kicked my butt with a photo radar ticket.

Eric in AZ

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
OverStuffed said:
But heads up if you're riding on one of the two days a year they enforce sidewalk rules, one way streets and red lights for the bikes. When I was a messenger in DC last summer, I got a warning, and a friend of mine got a ticket for riding on the sidewalk.
And then there is the DC cop who tried to enforce the sidewalk rules on me where they don't exist ("I can impound your bicycle"). DC Municipal Regulation 1201.9 states "There shall be no prohibition against any person riding a bicycle upon a sidewalk within the District, so long as the rider does not create a hazard; Provided, that no person shall ride a bicycle upon a sidewalk within the Central Business District...." I was at 34th & M Street, far outside the CBD, bounded by 23rd NW, Mass Ave, 2nd St NE-SE, D St SE to 14th St NW and Constitution Ave to 23rd St NW. I now carry a copy of the 1201 section regs with me.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Nothing changes!

Was once in a paceline - a regular night-time training session we had. This was basically fast, punctuated by very fast spells sprinting for town boundary signs - we all knew where they were on the circuit. One was at the end of a long sweepy downhill - great fun, with everyone at the front about spinning out for the 'honours'.

One night, we hit the sign going like blazes as usual, someone gave the obligatory victory wave and we got pulled over by a cop. He must have had some idea what we were at, and spent a few minutes between a stern lecture and not falling over laughing.

That was just outside of Hull, in the NorthEast of England - in 1969!

Back to the present day!

Those of us condemmed to live around the Disaster of Columbia will know that if anything really works in that town - it's their traffic endorsement :rolleyes: They have to make money from something, especially now the mayor has about given the city checkbook to baseball so they can have a new stadium.

Regards

Dereck

·
Registered
590 Posts
my threesome today rode 73 miles this morning. It was 25 degrees, so stopping was kept to a minimum. in a small town, we rolled through the stop sign to get out of a cars way. turns out it was a cop.

instead of being mad, he said thanks as he went by.

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
bigbill said:
I am a narc. Since moving to Hawaii, I have developed a relationship with the police precincts that commuting route crosses. I have the cell phone numbers of the narcotic detective and a captain programmed into my cell phone. I can call in suspicious activity (after I am far away) to either one and it will be investigated. The police cannot be everywhere at once and I am hurtling through the dark in bad areas at 5 am. I see alot and make no noise. I never thought that I would be in this position, but every bad guy that I help get locked up is one less that everyone else on the MUT has to deal with. The MUT I use is so isolated from any major road that the police have to use helicopters to patrol. They did recently hire six bike cops and purchased the bikes. They should be out there within two months and I can just keep my eyes forward.
Bill,
So, you're navy and a narc?? Good on you for doing the right thing. If more people would do as you...
Cheers, Wayne

·
Registered
85 Posts
Steel_SSer said:
I don't wanna upset anyone, but basically, I think there are two primary categories of cops:

(1) The guys who used to be bullies when they were kids
(2) The guys who used to get beat up by the bullies when they were kids

Really? Maybe you should advise the recruiting division of your local department, it would save them a lot of money by narrowing their search!

·
N. Hollywood, CA
754 Posts
Roche - triple crown?

kpcw said:
You have Stephen Roche and Sean Kelly to thank for this! :) They laid the law down many shamrocks ago and ye can now be grateful (btw me genes are from Mayo and Galway and me heart is 40 shades of green :) )
I recognize that photo of Roche, wearing the green jersey. Wasn't that the day he won the triple crown: TdF, Giro and World Championships all in one year? Simply awesome. I've had a little round sticker of that photo stuck to my stereo speaker for about 2 decades...

·
N. Hollywood, CA
754 Posts
carry documentation

I carry a photocopy of the two pages in the California DMV driving book, the book you read before taking the driving exam. Pages 48 and 49 talk about bicycle rules as well as expectations for car/bike interactions. Been carrying it for over a year and haven't had a chance to bolster my case, but it would help the OP's situation.

Go figure, the one time a cop did pull me over, it was because I blew a residential stop sign. He was on two wheels (Harley) but didn't share any 2-wheel comradery. My fault...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts