Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Boobies!
8,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Halfway through this year's wood project. I saw the local Verizon contractors who do tree removal sometime mid summer, and said I could take a load of wood. They called me up months later, and I said 'Sure, drop me off a load'.

Be careful what you wish for--lotsa really big rounds that are too heavy for me to lift when cut to length, and mixed hickory/swamp oak that all seemed to be too twisty to split with wedges. Rented a gas splitter from Homies and beat it into submission.

The pile along the road is probably the last 2/3rds.. Wood Logging Trunk Lumber Tan
Wood Watercraft Biome Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Woodland

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
We cut and split 8 cords of wood every second year. The twisty ones are the worse and my hubby takes them on like it's a war between him and it, and he is not going to be the looser.

When it's all done, you can have a beer or two in front of the stack to admire all that hard work.

·
Crusty AF
1,215 Posts
Damn. Guess I have some catching up to do. I got enough done yesterday to keep our little recreational fireplace going for a month or two...The fireplace is new to us (just moved in and didn't have one in the last house), so only tools I had were the axe, a 36" bow saw, and a 7-1/4" circular saw. A splitter may be overkill for us, but maybe I just need to pick better logs rather than fight with the knots and branch joints.

Trunk Throwing axe

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
A perk of living in (what I've been told) is the country's fastest growing town, is that the builders leave lots of perfectly shaped "firewood" in piles at their construction sites. Every few weeks I hook up my Bob trailer and come home with a few wheelbarrow loads of 2x4s and 2x6s. Sometimes I take my SUV and fill it to the roof.

I now have 2+ cubic yards of dimensional firewood, along with 1/4 cord of the real stuff. That should get me through most of a winter's worth of fires in the woodstove. I'm looking to burn all that I have before spring to make room to build a proper woodshed.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
A perk of living in (what I've been told) is the country's fastest growing town, is that the builders leave lots of perfectly shaped "firewood" in piles at their construction sites. Every few weeks I hook up my Bob trailer and come home with a few wheelbarrow loads of 2x4s and 2x6s. Sometimes I take my SUV and fill it to the roof.

I now have 2+ cubic yards of dimensional firewood, along with 1/4 cord of the real stuff. That should get me through most of a winter's worth of fires in the woodstove. I'm looking to burn all that I have before spring to make room to build a proper woodshed.
Not sure how big of a danger there is, but you may want to research that a bit. Pressure treated lumber contains arsenic which is released in the air when it's burned. Other treated lumber may contain chemicals that could corrode your wood stove.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
depending on the weather, I need to get at it this weekend, I have about 3 cords stacked but I would like to have 6 or so

I have actually been burning wood for a couple of weeks now. I try not to turn the furnace on even until New Years day if possible.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
Not sure how big of a danger there is, but you may want to research that a bit. Pressure treated lumber contains arsenic which is released in the air when it's burned. Other treated lumber may contain chemicals that could corrode your wood stove.
I believe that they have changed the formulation of wood treatment and no longer use copper arsenate. burning it is still not recommended. I don't burn my scraps.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
Pare, you need one, you know you do!

Attachments

·
Boobies!
8,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pare, you need one, you know you do!
Damn straight!

Although I need a multi-use machine, so I was looking at these guys. My lovely wife said if her ship comes in she will let me buy one. My dream would be this, plus a splitter attachment, trailer, box blade, snow plow attachment--and maybe a mower attachment as wel'.

A man can dream, can't he!

Tire Wheel Vehicle Fender Road surface

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
Damn straight!

Although I need a multi-use machine, so I was looking at these guys. My lovely wife said if her ship comes in she will let me buy one. My dream would be this, plus a splitter attachment, trailer, box blade, snow plow attachment--and maybe a mower attachment as wel'.

A man can dream, can't he!

View attachment 316713
you can get all those attachments for a skid steer, plus many more!!!!!

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
those first pictures look like they were taken in the morning.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.