Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The current Velonews Buyer's Guide contains a review by Leonard Zinn of Shimano's new Dura-Ace 7900 group. Zinn notes that the shift mechanism is now at the base of the lever, as it is on Campy and SRAM levers, and that the cable now runs under the bar tape. He then goes on to say "...there is a modest weight shift of the lever mass closer to the handlebar, resulting in a slightly lighter feel when sprinting out of the saddle." WTF! Tell me you can actually detect a weight shift by moving the attachment point of the cable a few milimeters down the lever AND that it makes a difference when sprinting. I call BS on that, I don't care how long Zinn has been around.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
yabbut also those cables are no longer flying out front there. they're now running under the tape, so I bet that makes a difference.

·
More cowbell!
2,527 Posts
<serious>I suspect he meant lighter touch rather than lighter weight.</serious>

It would work even better with some noobsauce lube.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
It's because his seatpost was too low and he had a DSLR strapped around his neck.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,036 Posts
I'm confused. Where do I put the new shift levers on my Aston Martin?

·
9,790 Posts
Shimano STIs always felt "heavy" because of that huge mass of gears and springs and black holes and majick charms stuck out there at the very end of the hood. By moving it all in a bit, it doesn't have that same heavy feel.

The closest comparison I can think of is a solid wood door versus a hollow-core, cheap door. You aren't actually lifting it, but you can feel the weight difference.

·
p != b
2,303 Posts
Haven't seen much in print, but everything I've read of his online has be convinced that Zinn will believe just about any marketing line out there.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
bopApocalypse said:
Haven't seen much in print, but everything I've read of his online has be convinced that Zinn will believe just about any marketing line out there.
Zinn is a super nice guy, but definitely not the authority that some think he is.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.