Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Rec Rider/Commuter
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...without those annoying vistas or pesky fast descents.

Any suggestions for muddling through, besides staying low and narrow?

·
In Blue America
436 Posts
Best advice

Someone told me to turn off or don't look at the mph display on your Cateye.

My favorite part of the headwind is the constant buzz of the wind drowns out the sound of me hacking and gagging from the effort to keep my speed up to 12 mph!

·
hi, I'm Larry
2,254 Posts
Turn around and go the other way

In order of importance, legs of steel, Aero bars and good aero position. Tight fitting clothes. Aero wheels.

But, doing a 180 is the easiest way.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
180s never work...

...never fails--I get to the turnaround on an out-and-back, and the wind drops and then reverses direction. The only possible explanation is that I was very bad in a previous life, and now I'm paying for it.

...and then there are the rides like today's, which started out with dead-calm air, and then the headwinds kicked up just as I reached the foot of the hills I was about to climb.

·
Registered
197 Posts
aside from downing 10 or 11 gu packets.... spot something up ahead and make that your goal, when you reach it spot another and push on...

·
Registered
23 Posts
How true !!

I think the first unwritten law of cycling is that whatever direction you go, you will always end up riding into a headwind.

And the second one that is that it'll be totally calm until you open the front door - after that it's headwinds all the way.

At least that's what happens here in summer

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
Around here in the summer, we get a "landbreeeze" in the morning, and a "lakebreeze" in the evening. I used to commute 8 miles each way, north/south, against the wind each way.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Simply a war of attrition

First, I hate to pass anyone and not maintain or exceed my pace. But Sat., into a headwind, I came up on a husband/wife-looking couple and passed them although my HR was around 93-94%. Friendly, horribly painful competition ensued. With never more than a 50-75 ft. lead I had to maintain that HR for 18-20 minutes before they fell off. It was an incident made surreal by the slow (15-18 mph) pace and simultaneous agony. Highly recommended!

·
FTMD
283 Posts
Someone mentioned it already, but for me the worst part is the wind noise. I can't hardly stand the constant rushing sound. Mentally draining to me.

I just put it in an easy gear, switch over to the cadence function on the computer, and work on a good spin w/o worrying about speed at all.

G

·
One day last summer I was Out for ride on Vancouver Island, hot dry day.

I'm pedalling along having a good day and start to become that the wind is starting to pick up, I'm right by the water.

Going down a good long steep hill, I'm in a 53x13 doing, according to my Cateye, 98 Cadence at the starttling speed of 18KMH - roughly 11MPH!!!!!!

Then I thought - "holy Sh%t - when I'm finished on this hill - I'm going backwards!!!!!"

Long ride back to the motorhome.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Headwinds

I could be wrong, but headwinds aren't like hills in terms of your weight being a factor. It's mostly maxing your power and minimizing your aero drag. The really strong riders seem to still do well in headwinds, meaning their speed doesn't drop dramatically. Yeah, really strong climbers can clear stuff in the big ring that would have most of our knees exploding, and our hearts taking leave of our chests, so what's my point? Anyways, one training method is to do big gear repeats into stiff headwinds, turn around, low gear/fast spin with the tailwind, back into the big gear/headwind and repeat until speed drops way down. A few weeks of these and I bet you notice a difference. Stay in the drops/aerobars too.

Can't discount the pyschological factors too, like some mentioned above. Don't hate it: embrace the wind! You'll appreciate calm days that much more. I moved to where I live because of the windsurfing, with the best days on the water described as 'nukin', or 'nuclear'. Well, when I took up biking, those same great on-the-water days turned into nightmares on rides. I'm not necessarily a great rider in headwinds because of it (yet!), but when I go to races/rides I'm never put off when it's windy, since that's what I ride in most days. A day riding in the wind (rain/snow, whatever) beats any day at my desk!

hrv

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Sounds like the return trip from Ojai to Ventura...

...with the afternoon winds off the ocean getting funneled up the canyon--if I freewheel, the wind is strong enough to bring me to a stop, even on the downhills. There's something wrong when it's easier to climb than to descend.

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
get low and repeat my favorite mantra...

"I am an arrow, I am an arrow...."

The suggestion of picking aa intermediate point ahead and focusing on that has been effective for me as well.

·
Registered
77 Posts
See the wind

Danny, be the wind.

Honestly, where I live there is always wind. It is just as important a part of cycling as the Guinness is afterward.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts