Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a three month wait, I am the proud owner of a brand new custom road frame. It's a DeSalvo (out of Oregon) and I had it built with Columbus Zona steel tubing and carbon seat stays. I had Mike (the builder) put a little motivational message on the top tube.

Mike is a great guy and does amazing work. Google him for his website if you're looking for a custom build. Welds are nearly invisible and the paint shop he uses really made the frame stand out.

I rode Elephant Rock here in Colorado and the frame soaked up so much vibration and bumpage that it left me smiling all day. 100 miles rolled by and I didn't feel beat up, as I used to on my aluminum Specialized. Money well spent!

<br><br>
<br><br>
<br><br>
<br><br>
<br><br>
<br><br>
<br><br>
<br><br>

·
Registered
421 Posts
Congrats - that is really a nice build! I like the slight curve of the carbon seatstays and the intricate shape of the downtube. Nice shade of blue too. Most importantly, sounds like it rides like a dream! :thumbsup:

Did you happen to weigh the frame? Just curious since you don't see that many steel/carbon designs.

Paul

·
Registered
151 Posts
Looks great, and I love the paint scheme. It's actually one I've been considering myself, sort of like a Shelby Cobra.

How tall are you, and what's the headtube length?

Also, I second the frame weight question.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
And why did you or DeSalvo go with Zona. Seems like there are a lot newer steels out there. What qualities does Zona bring to the table. I was looking a an De bartini which was on sale, but the Zona it was built with put a question mark on it for me. Nice looking frame, despite the aerobars! Lots of happy miles.:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Paul1PA said:
Congrats - that is really a nice build! I like the slight curve of the carbon seatstays and the intricate shape of the downtube. Nice shade of blue too. Most importantly, sounds like it rides like a dream! :thumbsup:

Did you happen to weigh the frame? Just curious since you don't see that many steel/carbon designs.

Paul

The frameset including the king headset is about 3 3/4 pounds. That's about 2 oz heavier than my aluminum and carbon Specialized I graduated from. That's fine with me. I'll take that slight weight penalty if it means a much better ride.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sgt_hedgehog said:
looks sweet!

but... i gotta ask... why aerobars??
Nothing better on a long century when a headwind arrives. More hand positions, gives the lower back a rest now and then, and I remember a time on the Bicycle Tour Colorado when I time trialed into Gunnison to make a massage appointment. Those are good reasons in my little world.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
AlexCad5 said:
And why did you or DeSalvo go with Zona. Seems like there are a lot newer steels out there. What qualities does Zona bring to the table. I was looking a an De bartini which was on sale, but the Zona it was built with put a question mark on it for me. Nice looking frame, despite the aerobars! Lots of happy miles.:)
I talked to Mike about Zona vs Life tubing, and since I'm a big guy and put out a ton of power (I love standing sprints), he recommended the slightly heavier and thicker tubing of Zona. It was also about $200 cheaper, too, if memory serves.

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
true dat

yogiwolfman said:
I talked to Mike about Zona vs Life tubing, and since I'm a big guy and put out a ton of power (I love standing sprints), he recommended the slightly heavier and thicker tubing of Zona. It was also about $200 cheaper, too, if memory serves.
Zona = mantubes

·
Registered
279 Posts
AidanM said:
the aerobars ruin it, hate to say it, get a TT bike for time trials not ruin a pefectly nice desalvo.

sorryy but tits tru
No it ain't, guy already gave his (good) reasons! If he rides MUTs on occasion and decides to put a bell on it, that's ok, too! OP- Nice bike, like your thinking even if it takes you a different place from me.

Minstrie.

·
On the wrong floor again
1,138 Posts
Nice ride!! Aerobars be damned. A good friend rides a Pinarello F4:13 and slapped aero's on them because on long rides he gave the same reasons you did. I can't argue with either of you!

Tim

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.