Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I discovered a ~6mm cut in my rear GP4000 tyre and the tube was "trying to get out". So I decided it was time to replace it with something more puncture & cut resistant. That would be Michelin Krylion carbon tyre, IMO.

I am sure it has been asked before but I cant find the posts.

I replaced the rear with Michelin Krylion Carbon. The front tyre is still Continental GP4000 with a lot of life left.

Is it safe for me to ride with Krylion in the rear tyre and GP4000 in front or should I also replace the front GP4000 with same tyre as on rear i.e. Krylion carbon?

Thanks

·
Overtaxed RBR member
475 Posts
acid_rider said:
I discovered a ~6mm cut in my rear GP4000 tyre and the tube was "trying to get out". So I decided it was time to replace it with something more puncture & cut resistant. That would be Michelin Krylion carbon tyre, IMO.

I replaced the rear with Michelin Krylion Carbon. The front tyre is still Continental GP4000 with a lot of life left.

Is it safe for me to ride with Krylion in the rear tyre and GP4000 in front or should I also replace the front GP4000 with same tyre as on rear i.e. Krylion carbon?

Thanks
You can mix tire brands but I would stick to the same sizes. I have had a lot of bad luck with Michelin and Continental tires. I have been riding Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp tires for a long time now with very few problems. They ride nice, corner well and are pretty puncture resistant.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Edster said:
I was getting way too many cuts on my Pro3's (in the rear) and finally after a gash exposed some of the threads, I replaced it with the Krylion Carbons in the rear and left a Pro3 in the front.
I think I am going to have to do that because I have a strange rupture right on one of the mold-lines/seams of my rear PRO 3 Race :(. I've ridden it well booted for about 100 miles.

·
Cpark
2,106 Posts
acid_rider said:

Thanks
Sure, you can.
I think you can get away with a lighter tire on the front though.
I run 4000S rear and Supersonic on the front and have no problem.

·
Registered
171 Posts
It's definitely ok to mix. On longer rides I prefer 23mm front and 25mm rear just for the added comfort and rarely use the same model tire. However if there's a huge difference in tire grip, put the grippier tire up front for more predictable handling.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Edster said:
I was getting way too many cuts on my Pro3's (in the rear) and finally after a gash exposed some of the threads, I replaced it with the Krylion Carbons in the rear and left a Pro3 in the front.
I am in exactly the same boat. My Pro3s are wrecked after less than 700 miles. I put an old used but not completely wrecked Hutchinson Speed Fusion on the back. The front one is still ok for now. But it is not going to last.

What is a hardy tire to use that will give good training ride performance, yet be resistant to punctures and cuts from glass and garbage on the road? Suggestions please.

I used to have a pair of Michelin Lithions, and they were ok, but I have moved to SoCal since. Would they be good here?

·
Registered
238 Posts
1stmh said:
I am in exactly the same boat. My Pro3s are wrecked after less than 700 miles. I put an old used but not completely wrecked Hutchinson Speed Fusion on the back. The front one is still ok for now. But it is not going to last.

What is a hardy tire to use that will give good training ride performance, yet be resistant to punctures and cuts from glass and garbage on the road? Suggestions please.

I used to have a pair of Michelin Lithions, and they were ok, but I have moved to SoCal since. Would they be good here?
You should be ok. Tires may wear faster in So Cal because it gets hotter there and the road's hotter, but I don't think So Cal has much better or worse roads than No Cal.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Thanks for the reply BluRooster.

I think I will get me some Vittoria Rubino Pro's. I scoped some out today, and they seem hardy, with good thread. Also Probikekit has them for like $20 something a piece.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.