Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· More carbon fiber please!
797 Posts
Not sure. Threw them on and never checked. Sometime will grab the 2 new spares out of the boxes and find out. Figure they're a damn good tire in terms of traction and wear and even if they were a tad over advertised weight I didn't care.

· Banned
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
guess i dont need to cry about it, but still, if its sold as 205g, 224 is pretty out of spec.
and yes, over the circumference of a 700c tire is where weight matter the most.

oh well. /thread.

· Registered
34 Posts
The last 2 that I put on where 208g and 210g, so slightly higher but nothing to worry about.

Personally not fussed about the weight as they are superb tyres for all round use, just thought I should weigh them before put them :D :D :D

· Registered
1,509 Posts
skyliner1004 said:
guess i dont need to cry about it, but still, if its sold as 205g, 224 is pretty out of spec.

oh well. /thread.
Again, really? 19g over the circumference of a 700c tire is nothing. That's .642 ounces over the course of roughly 2090mm/82 inches. Do I need to do the math?

Unless you're buying weed, 19g/.642 oz. isn't worth worrying about.

You can call it out of spec all you want, but it's not going to make a World of difference.

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
skyliner1004 said:

oh well. /thread.
Wonder if they quote the 205g for the thinnest tire they make--obviously something like a 25c would weigh more than a 23c.

· Banned
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
backinthesaddle said:
Again, really? 19g over the circumference of a 700c tire is nothing. That's .642 ounces over the course of roughly 2090mm/82 inches. Do I need to do the math?

Unless you're buying weed, 19g/.642 oz. isn't worth worrying about.

You can call it out of spec all you want, but it's not going to make a World of difference.
i'm not sure what your math is trying to conclude, but rotational weight at the outermost part of the wheel is where weight matters most. Although 19g is small, rotational weight is where you want the lowest weight on a bike. you can do all the division you want but the tire is where weight really matters most.

19g is small, but would you be happy if your bike was marketed as 15.5 lbs and you got a bike that weighed 17.05lbs? Keep in mind people pay huge premiums to get a bike @ 15.5 lbs and a 17.05lb bike can be had for $1500. Thats 10% increase in weight over marketed in case you're wondering.

Bold - Not going to make a world of a difference? You're right. nothing in any bike is going to make a world of a difference. I can put on wooden tires or 3.00" MTB Knobbies and it won't make a world of a difference. But do you have any of those on your bike? i'm here to optimize my bike, what are you here for?

· Banned
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bocephus Jones II said:
Wonder if they quote the 205g for the thinnest tire they make--obviously something like a 25c would weigh more than a 23c.
i'm sure they do quote the lightest picked one out of a large sample size. Mine is 10% heavier than their marketed weight. 10% is BARELY cutting it in my books. They're lucky they have their great BC compound.

· Registered
4,105 Posts
skyliner1004 said:
i'm not sure what your math is trying to conclude, but rotational weight at the outermost part of the wheel is where weight matters most. Although 19g is small, rotational weight is where you want the lowest weight on a bike. you can do all the division you want but the tire is where weight really matters most.
If it makes you feel any better, mine weighed ~225g also.... and I don't care. I figure the tread is probably thicker and they will last longer.

If you want light tires and don't care how long they last, then get the Super Sonics.

BTW, what are you using for rim tape? Might be an easy 15g per wheel to gain there...

· Less Clyde-ey Every Day
151 Posts
Conti's site, or at least the direct link to the 4000S, doesn't specify the weight. They do link to a review that claimed 207g, though Competitive Cyclist lists an "actual weight" of 229g.

FWIW, Conti claims 250g/ea for the Gatorskins I use, though I weighed them at 247g/ea (in 25's)... So the brand doesn't comprehensively run heavier than advertised.

· Banned
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
drdiaboloco said:
Conti's site, or at least the direct link to the 4000S, doesn't specify the weight. They do link to a review that claimed 207g, though Competitive Cyclist lists an "actual weight" of 229g.

FWIW, Conti claims 250g/ea for the Gatorskins I use, though I weighed them at 247g/ea (in 25's)... So the brand doesn't comprehensively run heavier than advertised.
UK Site says 205g :http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/ti grand prix 4000S.shtml

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.