Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am thinking of getting a GPS for profiling my rides.
Liked the look of the 205 or 305 edge but some posters have mentioned the battery life sux. Are there any other options I should look at? What is everyone using? Is vibration from bumpy roads a problem? Thanks

·
Registered
136 Posts
All of the Garmins should get about 12 hours battery life on a charge. I think the newer (605/705) actually get more like 18...but I'm not completely sure. I have a 305. It generally outlasts me in the saddle! Having said that the first 305 I had lasted only 4 hours and I sent it into Garmin for a replacement...the new one lasts considerably longer...my first one was also a refurb, so I guess I shouldn't be completely surprised...

Other companies make bike mounts for their trail GPSs, but I don't think there are other cycling specific ones out there like Garmin has. I have a Garmin Vista C that I have a bike mount for. It's nice for touring and on the mountain bike since it supports mapping which the 205/305 do not. The 605/705 does support mapping...but they're also considerably more expensive.

Jared

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
if you're just profiling or tracking your rides any handheld gps (not car gps) ought to work- garmin, magellan, etc. garmin seems to be the 800lb gorilla (in the US at least)... if you want 'fitness' features garmin is the 1000lb gorilla. you might check the gps board on mtbr

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FatTireFred said:
if you're just profiling or tracking your rides any handheld gps (not car gps) ought to work- garmin, magellan, etc. garmin seems to be the 800lb gorilla (in the US at least)... if you want 'fitness' features garmin is the 1000lb gorilla. you might check the gps board on mtbr
thanks i will.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.