Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a budget of about $180-190 max. I am looking for a heart rate monitor with GPS to train. I would prefer it tracks altitude (for those climbs, to find angle, etc), speed, distance, and hopefully have a program that can simulate a lactate threshold/VO2 max test (it doesn't have to be that accurate, just a general reference).

Right now I have only two that I am checking out:
-Garmin Forerunner 301GPS Heart Rate Monitor Training Device ($168)
-Timex Ironman Triathalon BodyLink Heart Rate Monitor (#5F011) (first one for $190)

Garmin was recommended by a friend who loves his non-GPS one (and the software it includes). I found the Timex online while browsing other possible options. It appears that the Timex has altitude changes, but I don't know anyone with experience with it, so I was wondering what everyone's opinion is. Timex, Garmin, or something different?

Thanks,
James

·
Registered
588 Posts
I use the Garmin Forerunner 301. I like the heartrate moniter function too. I also sync it with the computer for a log of my activities.

If I was going to spend some money of a GPS/Heartrate unit, I would spend up and get the Garmin Edge with the HR monitor.

That unit is made for cycling. The 301 will lose it's satillite if you are pedaling in a wooded area. None the less, the heartrate monitor is pretty good.

jps

·
I heart team Zissou!
2,953 Posts
iliveonnitro said:
I have a budget of about $180-190 max. I am looking for a heart rate monitor with GPS to train. I would prefer it tracks altitude (for those climbs, to find angle, etc), speed, distance, and hopefully have a program that can simulate a lactate threshold/VO2 max test (it doesn't have to be that accurate, just a general reference).

-Timex Ironman Triathalon BodyLink Heart Rate Monitor (#5F011) (first one for $190)

Garmin was recommended by a friend who loves his non-GPS one (and the software it includes). I found the Timex online while browsing other possible options. It appears that the Timex has altitude changes, but I don't know anyone with experience with it, so I was wondering what everyone's opinion is. Timex, Garmin, or something different?

Thanks,
James
If all you are interested in "GPS-type" features is altidude and grade, then the Polar 720 series will do just fine as it has excellent altidude tracking and sampling. The software is quite good too- it will give you the % grade on any segment of your choosing.

And it also has several built-in VO2 and HR threshold tests.

A+

Philippe

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hold out for the Garmin Edge 305

If I were in your shoes, I would stick with a basic HRM until I could afford the Edge 305. I have pretty extensive experience with GPS units including many of the Garmin handhelds. My primary complaint has always been the difficulty with reception in difficult areas (in the trees, on city streets with tall buildings and down in canyons).

GPS using the SIRF III chipset started appearing on the scene about 18 months ago. I bought a GlobalSat BT-338, a bluetooth GPS that uses the SIRF III chipset. It has been the only piece of technology I've purchased that has exceeded my expectations in a long time. The sensitivity is so good, I can literally track my position inside of many buildings.
Garmin has introduced many new GPS devices, including the Edge 205 and 305, that use the SIRF III chipset. It's the first time that I'm aware of that Garmin has used GPS receivers that they didn't design/build. SIRF III is really far superior to anything else that I've come across.

I use the BT-338 along with my Polar 725 to achieve similar results as the Edge 305. But my solution is a real pain to use in comparison and doesn't offer the integration that you really want. I can't yet combine my HR and GPS data for really integrated analysis. I have to examine the HR, cadence, speed and altitude data from the Polar using Polar's software. I can view the GPS data in a wide variety of ways, but my two favorites are Google Earth and more recently MotionBased.com. With MotionBased.com and the Edge 305, you can store/view all of your data in one place.

I like my Polar 725 very much. It has been a tremendous help in training smarter and tracking my performance. I like using the BT-338 for GPS tracking, especially for MTB rides, backpacking, skiing, etc. I'll add a Garmin Edge 305 to my collection before too long.

BTW - the Edge 305 used to offer either HR or cadence. Now you can have both HR and cadence at the same time.

I have heard rumblings about upcoming competitors to the Garmin Edge. I expect Polar will offer a similar device in the near future. I have also heard that Polar may be switching to bluetooth for their wireless protocol.

If you haven't learned about MotionBased.com, go and check it out. It will probably make you even more likely to pick up an Edge. I think you could get an excellent feel for the various GPS based solutions by reading/interacting on the forums there. You can setup a very functional account for free. If you get a chance, check out the stuff they have put together for Sea Otter. You can "view" the MTB race track in amazingly useful detail. Someone rode the course and captured the ride with a GPS. You can replay their ride, viewing speed, elevation, grade and position.

In my experience, for training & fitness purposes, a HRM with cadence is a higher priority than the GPS. If I truly couldn't justify buying an Edge and I had to have GPS functionality, I'd buy a reasonable bike computer, HRM and an inexpensive SIRF III GPS.

gpspassion.com seems to be one of the better sites out there for SIRF III GPS information. It's a very active site with many forums. Everyone is pretty friendly and helpful.

Another related topic worth discussing is mapping on GPS devices. I have tried to make use of mapping GPS devices for hiking, backpacking, backcountry skiing, cycling, etc. While I would like to say that maps on the GPS have been great, I can't. I have always found that between the limited display size/capability, the hassle of getting the right maps installed and the worries about relying on the electronics as sole source navigation, I've always gone back to carrying a paper map and using the GPS as a locator. I've tried hard to make it work. On a backpacking trip last fall, I couldn't get map data with enough resolution for the area. I had great difficulty viewing the screen in bright sunlight. I couldn't view a large enough portion of the area to easily orient myself. Frustrating. Your mileage may vary.

For flying & driving, I'm a big fan of GPS with mapping & routing. But I have larger screens, more storage, faster devices and access to power.

Good luck with your decision,

sminar

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Timex Model #5C391does altitude. And it looks like altitude and position, so you could plot with some software if I read that correctly. You really do need to get the Timex Data Recorder also - this records your workout so you can review it.

Als gift Shoppe, now Prosportwatches? has cheapest price although healthcheck systems promises to pricematch. http://www.prosportwatches.com/
I had bought my previous generation Timex GPS from Als Gift Shoppe.

I put the GPS part on the stem off the bicycle bar with a rubber wetsanding pad beneath it to pad it , and I got a POLAR watch mount for the handlebars to mount the watch to it
so I can view it while riding, and then wear the data recorder around my left wrist.
(and #5c391 includes a bicycle mount now).

I've used my previous generation in races.

Wow, I'm going to have to compare the Edge 305 now with the #5c391.. It looks like I'm going to buy a new model.. WOOOOOOO!

iliveonnitro said:

Thanks,
James

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Look at the prices below. This will be your check out prices at prosportwatches.com

just sign up for the email to get that price list. they will only give you that price
when you are ready to check out.

I don't think anyone will beat it..

Getting the Datarecorder for the Timex is necessary. Nothing like looking back
and reviewing how each of the hill repeats or TT's you run looked.

iliveonnitro said:

Thanks,
James

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Timex BodyLink 5C391 + Data Recorder- 5G751 COMBO...$ 237.99

Timex BodyLink 5C391 ............................................$

Timex Bodylink 5F011 + Data Recorder 2-5G751 COMBO..$ 207.99

Timex Bodylink 5F011...............................................$

Timex BodyLink Mid-Size 5G311 + Data Recorder-54101 COMBO... $ 197.99

Timex BodyLink Mid-Size
5G311...........................................$ 159.99

Timex Bodylink Speed & Distance 5E681...............................$

Timex Bodylink Heart Rate Monitor 59571..............................$

Timex Bodylink 59571 + Data Recorder-54101 COMBO….. $ 117.99

Timex Bodylink 59571 and 5B501 Combo...............................$

Timex Bodylink 5E671 and Data Recorder- 54101 Combo…..$ 207.99

Timex Bodylink
5E671..............................................................$ 169.99

Timex Speed + Distance System 5E691..........................$ 121.99

Timex Speed + Distance System 5E701..........................$ 121.99

Timex Digital Heart Rate Monitor 5F001.......................$ 79.99

Timex Digital HRM 5F001 + Data Recorder-54101 COMBO..........$117.99

Timex Digital Heart Rate Monitor Mid-Size 59751..............$ 53.99

Timex Digital HRM Mid-Size 59751 + Data Recorder-54101 COMBO.$ 91.99

Timex Digital Heart Rate Monitor Mid-Size 59761..............$ 53.99

Timex Digital HRM Mid-Size 59761 + Data Recorder-54101 COMBO.$ 91.99

Timex Digital Heart Rate Monitor 5C411.......................$ 53.99

Timex Digital HRM 5C411 + Data Recorder-54101 COMBO..........$ 91.99

Timex Digital Heart Rate Monitor 5C401.......................$ 53.99

Timex Digital HRM 5C401 + Data Recorder-54101 COMBO..........$ 91.99

Timex Digital Heart Rate Monitor 57781.......................$ 58.99

Timex Digital HRM 57781 + Data Recorder-54101 COMBO..........$ 96.99

Timex Digital Heart Rate Monitor 58491.......................$ 58.99

Timex Digital HRM 58491 + Data Recorder-54101 COMBO..........$ 96.99

Navman II Sensor Only.......................................$ 119.99

Digital Heart Rate Strap.......................................$ 40.00

Garmin ForeTrex #201.........................................$ 149.99

Garmin ForeRunner #201......................................$ 133.99

Garmin ForeRunner #301......................................$ 179.99

Coming Soon

Garmin Edge #205...............................................$ 204.99

Garmin Edge #305CAD.......................................$ 257.99

Garmin Edge #305HR..........................................$ 257.99

Garmin Forerunner #205 .....................................$ 211.99

Garmin Forerrunner #305 .....................................$ 274.99

·
Registered
175 Posts
Another vote for Polar

I have owned several HRM's and the Polar has been the most reliable. I have a Polar S710, that I got off ebay for $170. Does everything I could ask for in an HRM, including altitude.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts