Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding for a while using the Cyclemeter app on my iPhone along with a Wahoo RFLKT and it has been just fine. Recently my wife has gotten into hiking and trail in running and I am thinking its time to get a dedicated GPS unit we can both share. Seeing how we have a 1 year old duaghter that means one of us will always be at home while the other is exercising so we can share a GPS unit. For hiking and trail running I would imagine that a GPS with mapping is pretty important, so right now I am leaning towards the Garmin 810. For cycling my preference is the Garmin 520, but I am not sure that would be very useful hiking.

anyone have any other recommendations or thoughts to add?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why do you think the 810 would be useful but the 520 wouldn't? The 520 uses mapping too.
I didnt think you could load maps libraries into the 520. Where as with the 810 I know there are many pay and open source maps you can use on the device.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!
looks like the 520 would work great for both out needs. For road biking I could care less about the mapping, I just want a good cycling GPS to track data and Strava live segments would also be nice. For my wife she just needs to load trail maps so she can see where she is if she gets lost. While the 810 can do real time turn by turn directions I am not sure what good that will be out in the woods.

·
Registered
20,800 Posts
Thanks!
looks like the 520 would work great for both out needs. For road biking I could care less about the mapping, I just want a good cycling GPS to track data and Strava live segments would also be nice. For my wife she just needs to load trail maps so she can see where she is if she gets lost. While the 810 can do real time turn by turn directions I am not sure what good that will be out in the woods.
Yea turn by turn navigation wouldn't be useful in the woods.

If you're looking to add a lot of maps, then I would suggest the 810. Like if you do a lot of traveling. The 520 is limited on storage space. I can load my Tri-state area map onto my 520 with room to spare for operation. That covers anywhere I'd ever ride around home. If I travel, I have to remove my local map and replace it with one where I'm traveling. Not a big deal as I don't travel that much.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
garmin is garbage for hiking.

iPhone is the hiking GPS solution. Makes mincemeat of the obsolete GPS that Garmin makes!

Get the Motion X Terrain GPS app for non road use. MotionX® | MotionX-GPS Overview Very ace application! Has pretty much all the trails marked you will need to know, already. no need to 'source maps' and upload them clumsily. Just use the app and select the area and detail you want, and it is uploaded for your unlimited off-line use, for free.
https://youtu.be/NzwmWR1MbuQ

I went mental trying to use an Android for a couple years. All Shiit apps. iOS has all the best apps for me.

Doing one of the major Thru-hike trails (CDT, PCT,AT), I think they have specific iPhone apps for those trails which are excellent.

I do up to 7 day hiking treks. iPhone. I also use the iPhone w Cyclemeter on the bike. no need to give another grand to Gackkkmin. And I use the iPhone MotionX terrain for mtn biking. iPhone goes in a weatherproof Topeak case, which I have used on many a rainy day

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Thanks!
Note that pretty much all the Garmins as well as the Wahoo have "issues" every now and then. That includes the 800/810 and 520. Possibly the 520 is a touch more stable, hard to say. I've used my 810 since April and it crashed twice early but after correctly formatting the SD card and reinstalling the OS, it's been rock solid on over 30 rides, so am sold on this model. As well I like the touch screen interface over the buttons as on the 520. The Blue tooth interface is what sold me as it can download a Garmin Connect pre-created course/ride from the mobile app, as well as upload when completed. Painless and I really wanted this as I did not want to need to haul the unit to and from my house to a computer to USB connect.

Do some research as well as to the difference between the map and turn-by-turn capability of the 800/810 vs. a 520 as my info is that the maps are easier to use ?, on an 810 possibly, as well with the greater capacity of the SD card you can put more and different maps on the unit, including topo maps, which would be useful for hiking.

And FWIW, if a trail system exists and is shown on the Garmin Connect Google map, then you can create a course which can be viewed on the 810. I can see, as example, a route I created of the Stewart Forest State Park, in NY, on my 810. It can only do TBT for roads, but it'll show me where I am and which trail to take on my route. You can also track a mt. bike ride and save it to follow again.

I'm currently seeing the Garmin 520 at around $280-$300 and see the 810 for between $310 and $330.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
garmin is garbage for hiking.

iPhone is the hiking GPS solution. Makes mincemeat of the obsolete GPS that Garmin makes!

Get the Motion X Terrain GPS app for non road use. MotionX® | MotionX-GPS Overview Very ace application! Has pretty much all the trails marked you will need to know, already. no need to 'source maps' and upload them clumsily. Just use the app and select the area and detail you want, and it is uploaded for your unlimited off-line use, for free.
https://youtu.be/NzwmWR1MbuQ

I went mental trying to use an Android for a couple years. All Shiit apps. iOS has all the best apps for me.

Doing one of the major Thru-hike trails (CDT, PCT,AT), I think they have specific iPhone apps for those trails which are excellent.

I do up to 7 day hiking treks. iPhone. I also use the iPhone w Cyclemeter on the bike. no need to give another grand to Gackkkmin. And I use the iPhone MotionX terrain for mtn biking. iPhone goes in a weatherproof Topeak case, which I have used on many a rainy day
If the iPhone app/map requires a constant data connection, then it might well be useless if the area you hike or bike has no decent cell data service. If you can load all the maps you need to the phone, then maybe. Remember as well that battery life on an IPhone is not going to be as good as even a GPS bike computer, which can go 15-17 hrs. GPS hand holds with AA batteries are of course only limited by the amount of batteries you can carry.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
If the iPhone app/map requires a constant data connection, then it might well be useless if the area you hike or bike has no decent cell data service. If you can load all the maps you need to the phone, then maybe. Remember as well that battery life on an IPhone is not going to be as good as even a GPS bike computer, which can go 15-17 hrs. GPS hand holds with AA batteries are of course only limited by the amount of batteries you can carry.
There are some decent apps that can store maps on your iphone so that you can access them offline. As for the battery life issue, you can carry a small power bank with you.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
read my post: this is 2016. The iPhone and the apps run 100% off-line. You do not need any data connection, no cell connection, just pure GPS. Look at the video I posted - you select the area you want maps downloaded and they remain available offline at custom detail level. No searching for maps and converting, Motion X keeps them up date with the latest trails marked.

The places I hike,mtn bike and road ride are almost 100% offline, no cell signal, no wifi no data. Only GPS signal, which the iPhone 6+ offers full time. Can run all day without a charge as long as I am not staring at it all day (which is pointless). Usually the battery lasts me a week or more on treks, as I hardly turn it on except to see how far to next intersection/destination.

It was the older iPhones like the iPhone 4 that did not have true offline GPS. That stuff is history.

It is why my stupid clunky $600 Garmin Oregon has collected dust for years now. The MotionX terrain app destroys anything Garmin offers for hiking today

for hiking, you tend not to have the unit out and turned on all the time. But you have unlimited battery power with the iPhone anyways, as with any handheld - just carry batteries (usb lithium weigh less than AA for the amount of energy)

very difficult reading a terrain map on a wee bike computer like Garmin 500/800 series

If you like trekking, check out Joe Breur's channel on Youtube: he did all three major thru hikes (AT, PCT, CDT), using merely an iPhone and a spare battery the whole time to navigate AND Vlog the hikes. 5 months on the trail each trip. fascinating stuff: https://www.youtube.com/user/Biophthera
his iphone kit explained https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7TEhNgLSwY

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
read my post: this is 2016

ly turn it

It is why my stupid clunky $600 Garmin Oregon has collected dust for years now. The MotionX terrain app destroys anything Garmin offers for hiking today

for hiking, you tend not to have the unit out and turned on all the time. But you have unlimited battery power with the iPhone anyways, as with any handheld - just carry batteries (usb lithium weigh less than AA for the amount of energy)

hikes. 5 months on the trail each trip. fascinating stuff: https://www.youtube.com/user/Biophthera
his iphone kit explained https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7TEhNgLSwY
Umm, no need to shout or get testy, I DID qualify with "If you can load all the maps, maybe". You possibly missed that as well as my missing your comment.

Would I use my iPhone ? Maybe and thanks for the info and links as I'll give it a shot when I'm in the Adirondacks at the end of the month.

If I were also cycling, I'd prefer a dedicated cycling GPS unit. The Wahoo units look intriguing as they essentially use an app on the smartphone to sent app data to the handlebar head unit. Lots of options with that especially if the apps on an iPhone also work for hiking.

I do confess that my love for my 810 is because it works very well at what it's supposed to do and with my Garmin swim watch on Connect, painlessly tracks my activities.

EDIT:, Just downloaded Motion X. I'm such a gadget junkie

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Umm, no need to shout or get testy, I DID qualify with "If you can load all the maps, maybe". You possibly missed that as well as my missing your comment.

Would I use my iPhone ? Maybe and thanks for the info and links as I'll give it a shot when I'm in the Adirondacks at the end of the month.

If I were also cycling, I'd prefer a dedicated cycling GPS unit. The Wahoo units look intriguing as they essentially use an app on the smartphone to sent app data to the handlebar head unit. Lots of options with that especially if the apps on an iPhone also work for hiking. Hmmm......
for cycling, the dedicated gps computers are nice and small, and long battery life yes. That is about the sum of the advantages over a phone. For me, I can't justify the nearly $500-1000 price tag just for a smaller bike computer though. Perhaps if cycling was my only hobby, Id get a Garmin or Magellan bike computer.

My wife and I only hike with iPhones now, though she owns a Garmin edge 810, and I have a Garmin Orgeon.

check for dedicated apps for the region you are hiking in too. While MotionX gps will likely have all the trails already, some of the localized apps are even better. Like the Halfmile PCT app. We used the Hornby island mtn bike app to good effect too

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
Whatever you do, don't get a Garmin Fenix 2 (older generation). Not sure if the Fenix 3 is better, but Fenix 2 was disappointing for me.

Whatever you use, make sure it has GPS+GLONASS capability, accuracy will be much better than GPS alone.

Even though the Edge products are pretty much designed for solely biking, I'd guess that a 520 would work fine.

·
Registered
363 Posts
for cycling, the dedicated gps computers are nice and small, and long battery life yes. That is about the sum of the advantages over a phone. For me, I can't justify the nearly $500-1000 price tag just for a smaller bike computer though. Perhaps if cycling was my only hobby, Id get a Garmin or Magellan bike computer.

My wife and I only hike with iPhones now, though she owns a Garmin edge 810, and I have a Garmin Orgeon.

check for dedicated apps for the region you are hiking in too. While MotionX gps will likely have all the trails already, some of the localized apps are even better. Like the Halfmile PCT app. We used the Hornby island mtn bike app to good effect too
$500-1000? I regularly see sales on the 810 and 520 for under $300.

·
Registered
20,800 Posts

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
If you're paying $500-$1000 for ANY Garmin bike computer you're really getting suckered. The MSRP directly from the Garmin site is under $500 for all the models... even the 1000. Of course you can get them even cheaper anywhere else.
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/into-sports/cycling/cIntoSports-cCycling-p1.html
OK sorry I have to think in Canadian dollars though. Not always doing the exchange in my posts

A garmin 1000 bundle from cdn discounter .. $800 of my dollars. local dealer will charge fair amt more Garmin Edge 1000 Bundle - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.