Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Who needs a map?
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a navigon 2100 that has apparently gone on strike. One day it just decided not to acquire satellite signals any more. I've tried doing the hard reset etc and leaving it out in the open for over an hour but no luck. Meanwhile, navigon has basically pulled out of the US market, leaving no phone tech support and a lonely web form for sending support requests.

Any ideas, or do I have a technologically advanced paper weight?

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
I've also decided to stop acquiring satellites. We just have too much stuff these days, ya know?

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
nonsleepingjon said:
I have a navigon 2100 that has apparently gone on strike. One day it just decided not to acquire satellite signals any more. I've tried doing the hard reset etc and leaving it out in the open for over an hour but no luck. Meanwhile, navigon has basically pulled out of the US market, leaving no phone tech support and a lonely web form for sending support requests.

Any ideas, or do I have a technologically advanced paper weight?
The satellites are gone, the Chinese blinded all of them with a tachyon ray. The government has a secret supercomputer base underneath the surface of the moon and is feeding pre-programmed data to the major GPS products so soccer moms won't panic when they look for directions to Chick-Fil-A. This includes Magellan, Garmin and TomTom devices. Yours is a niche so you're out in the cold.

I suggest a netbook running Ubuntu and Verizon 3G to access Google Maps.

·
Who needs a map?
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
terry b said:
The satellites are gone, the Chinese blinded all of them with a tachyon ray. The government has a secret supercomputer base underneath the surface of the moon and is feeding pre-programmed data to the major GPS products so soccer moms won't panic when they look for directions to Chick-Fil-A. This includes Magellan, Garmin and TomTom devices. Yours is a niche so you're out in the cold.

Oh, so it's just the start of the apocalypse and the next world war. No big deal then.

I'm actually planning on getting a 4G android phone tomorrow so that should cover most of the use cases.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
nonsleepingjon said:
Oh, so it's just the start of the apocalypse and the next world war. No big deal then.

I'm actually planning on getting a 4G android phone tomorrow so that should cover most of the use cases.
You'll be fine until the Chinese deploy the Anti-G Ray that they're working on.

·
Honey Smack!
7,966 Posts
terry b said:
You'll be fine until the Chinese deploy the Anti-G Ray that they're working on.
Nothing but the EDGE network from now on!

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
terry b said:

Someone screwed the pooch then because my TomTom stopped working last week too.

Google Navigator on my android phone is working very well though. :D

·
Frog Whisperer
40,920 Posts
my garmin acquires 11 satellites then tries to send me to Chicago.....I don't want to go to chicago...I suspect there are giant tubes full of hungry badgers waiting to devour the entire population.

True story....but without the background it just sounds weird!

edit: and the real story may even deserve a thread of it's own

·
Frog Whisperer
40,920 Posts
On the trip to Ohio earlier this summer for my daughter’s graduation, my wife and son were in the car with me. My son is highly imaginative and a clever boy. (Not that it helps in the job search)

My gps was certain that we needed to go to Chicago to get to Ohio even though I knew better. For almost 200 miles it tried desperately to get us to turn around and got its way. It finally gave up in Indianapolis.

This was NOT the first time I had this issue. On the way back from the ride in Indy this spring, it had tried to lure Kykr and I to Chicago for hours to get to Rockford.

We kept either being passed by or passed large trucks carrying oversized loads consisting of giant, say maybe 12 or 15 feet in diameter, tubes. …Looked like fuselages from rocket ships to me.

After we saw maybe the 10th one, my son noticed that on the side of one of the assist vehicles carrying the oversized load sign, was stenciled “Badger Transport”. He immediately concluded that the giant tubes were full of irrate, trained, hungry badgers being delivered to Chicago. They were part of the master plan by some alien force that was controlling the gps sattelites, and all of the unsuspecting gps users who were blindly following the commands of the voice on their dash were destined to get to Chicago where the badgers would be unleashed on them and be eaten.

I have to laugh every time I see a badger tube on the road now. (as it turns out, I believe these giant tubes are part of wind turbine towers)

OR NOT…..

·
Honey Smack!
7,966 Posts
terry b said:
That sucker runs right straight through a monitoring station on a tiny island about three miles offshore from Murmansk.
I think my cell phone w/ google maps is on to this. I was trying to find a house to take some pictures of it for work and it kept saying I was in various parts of China when I loaded it.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,920 Posts
this is the same boy who, when he was about 2 or 3, fell asleep in the car. He slept for an hour or so, then I saw him waking up in my rear view mirror, he looked out the windows, sat up straight and with a look of amazement on his face said "Ahhhhhhhh so this is planet earth"

·
Registered
296 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
this is the same boy who, when he was about 2 or 3, fell asleep in the car. He slept for an hour or so, then I saw him waking up in my rear view mirror, he looked out the windows, sat up straight and with a look of amazement on his face said "Ahhhhhhhh so this is planet earth"

you sure know how to raise them huh ? lol:thumbsup:

·
Opus was just napping
21,655 Posts
KenB said:
Someone screwed the pooch then because my TomTom stopped working last week too.

Google Navigator on my android phone is working very well though. :D
Garmin 305 worked like a charm on my run this morning as well.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,920 Posts
CdaleNut said:
you sure know how to raise them huh ? lol:thumbsup:
not sure WHERE he got that imagination from....................

·
Kilt wearing, old man
1,662 Posts
terry b said:
Damn! I wonder what's going on at Moon Base Alpha?
Commander Koenig and Dr. Russell are getting it in the medical section. Any other questions?:p

1 - 20 of 27 Posts