Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Laguna Niguel CA. Near to me is a nice training hill that ascends 570 feet in 2.5 miles, An online grade incline calculator has rated this as a 4.3 grade. The hill is the last piece of my short weekday workout, and my goal is to be able to do the hill twice in a session. My question to you is to please provide some perspective ast to whether this seems like a good training hill, or I should be looking at finding steeper climbs.

Thanks

·
Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
Cheekyguille said:
I live in Laguna Niguel CA. Near to me is a nice training hill that ascends 570 feet in 2.5 miles, An online grade incline calculator has rated this as a 4.3 grade. The hill is the last piece of my short weekday workout, and my goal is to be able to do the hill twice in a session. My question to you is to please provide some perspective ast to whether this seems like a good training hill, or I should be looking at finding steeper climbs.

Thanks
If it's near to you, it's a better training hill than having to go somewhere further away. I can't imagine you are going to find anything bigger in Laguna Niguel.

You don't say what you are training for, or what your "short weekday workout" consists of, but I think doing this hill twice in a short weekday workout would be respectable. A 4.3% grade is generally not considered to be a steep hill, but that number is an average. There are likely to be steeper sections, and it still takes effort to get up it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, the climb isn't even and has a combo of challenging

and recovery parts. My goal is to get in good cycling fitness so I can join one of the local clubs and keep up with a pack. I'm riding three or four times a week, with a longer haul on weekends. My mid-weeks can be about 25 miles, with some hills. Or the climb ride which is about a 15 mile with some other smaller climbs on it. Weekend ride ranges from 30-50 miles. Been doing this for a couple of months and already feel much stronger. when I added the hill into my training I could feel the improvement on strenght almost immediately. Wanted really to get some sense about my local hill.

Thanks

Regards,

Guille

·
Just Riding Along
1,024 Posts
Grade is not as important as rise...

The "work" you do when climbing is measured by the energy expended to lift your bike and bulk (the mass thereof) up the hill (the vertical rise thereof). From a practical standpoint, the speed you achieve will fluctuate according to the energy with which you pedal and the grade you happen to be on at the moment (i.e. you speed up on the less steep sections and slow down on the steeper sections.)

A relatively long climb like this is a very good way to measure fitness and calculate energy output (watts). See analyticcycling.com for assistance.

As to your original question, this is a good trainging hill for fitness and improving your aerobic metabolism. When a hill becomes too steep to climb aerobically, you use anaerobic metabolism to supplement aerobic metabolism. While anaerobic metabolism is important, most endurance athletes train to increase their aerobic metabolism.

No training hill is good unless you use it. Use it lots.

Good luck.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
There isn't a single hill within 3 hours (if not more) of me that is 2.5 miles long. I'd love to have such a thing to train on. Best that I know of is 0.5 miles at 12.9%. Tough, but over before you know it.

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
Steep (8% or more) climbs feel different from the shallower climbs like yours, and really steep ones (15% or more) different again. At least to me.

It's been 20 years since I lived in Orange County but I remember a lot of good climbs in the canyons east of where you are. It sounds like you are ready to explore them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's the online site I used to calculate the incline grade

570 feet over 2.5 miles and voila

http://www.csgnetwork.com/inclinedeclinegradecalc.html

I gotta recheck my Suunto, perhaps re-calibrate since I gather from the replies that this is a pretty mild climb for most, however it doesn't feel like one. At least I don't think that I'm in that horrendous of a shape.

Thanks for the great info on all the replies.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Einstruzende said:
There isn't a single hill within 3 hours (if not more) of me that is 2.5 miles long. I'd love to have such a thing to train on. Best that I know of is 0.5 miles at 12.9%. Tough, but over before you know it.
Where?!? I've been looking for a training hill, the only decent hill I've found near me is off of 33/Riverside (161 to Sawmill Rd., not a bike friendly hill).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.