Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I've been doing research into what's available for light touring and gravel riding rims for a while now, and I'm just wondering if there's anything that I haven't considered yet. I'm looking for 700c/29" rims with an internal width of 20-24mm and a moderate depth of 20-30mm. Will be running tires anywhere from 32-40mm. Rims that I've been looking at include:

HED Belgium C2+
Velocity Aileron
Velocity Dyad
DT Swiss TK540DB

I really like the dimensions of the HEDs, but I'm not sure about their ability to stand up to prolonged abuse. I have the same worries with the Aileron, but I know the Dyad can withstand it. The Dyad is just narrower than what I'm looking for. So with all that, I keep coming back to the DT TK540. So who's out there and what are you using?

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,411 Posts
HED Belgium C2+ if you're flush.

DT Swiss TK540DB if you're not.

I would avoid Velocity. There are better choices.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I would also cast a vote for HED Belgium in either the standard C2 or Plus depending on your preferences in width. They also come in a variety of spoke counts to suit a variety of riders/applications.

They are about as good of an all around rim choice as you'll find.

·
NewRoadEnthusiast-Again
103 Posts
I can't give you high-mileage anecdotal experience, but I haven't heard or read anything negative about Stan's Grail rims. If you're doing disc brakes, they fit your specs.

I had mine built with a 32 hole rims, a Shimano Nexus dynamo hub on the front and Deore XT hub on the back. I only have about 600 miles on them, but so far, so good.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,411 Posts
The WTB Frequency Team CX i19 or i23 work great tubeless, are cheap and are very durable.

These do look promising. I haven't seen anything bad on them.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I don't see the need for a heavy duty rim for gravel or light touring. You've got this big cushy tire protecting the rim vs a skinny road tire on road bikes.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,411 Posts
I am getting ready to build up a 27.5 wheel set using WTB KOM i25s for my gravel bike. I will be using 47mm WTB Byway tires with them.

The KOM is a lighter version of the Frequency.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts