Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, I thought i had a bright idea and have been planning to use the Stan's ArchEX 3.30HD wheelset from my mountain bike on a gravel bike build. They're light, 21mm wide, and they are very reliable tubeless. It just occurred to me that the Shimano 5800 11-speed cassette probably isn't going to fit on the Stan's mountain bike hub. Am i right? Anyone have any suggestions? I don't see a Shimano 11 speed freehub on the Stan's site. I like this wheelset and i think it would work great on a gravel bike. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
536 Posts
It may not fit a 5800 road 11 speed cassette. but it might hold a MTB 11 speed cassete. You might want to call Stans and ask if they have a road freehub that will fit on your current wheelset.

I'm running Arch mks onthe gravel bike, have a pic...

·
Registered
734 Posts
Two good suggestions, although I think you're hosed on the 11 speed road cassette. Stan's will know for sure and their tech support is great.

If you are going 1x, a 42t front ring and something like 10-42 would give you an awful lot of range and the midrange XD cassette isn't too heinously expensive.

Careful with tires - some of the tighter fitting gravel tires (WTB off the top of my head) can cause a wicked drop in spoke tension on Arch wheels, especially the EX ones. MK3s are a little better but still prone to a lot of tension drop.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
My memory may be wrong. But, one of the reasons i went with some pacentis built by november over stans arches was tire pressure. Maybe they have changed, but i don't think the arches are rated to run at road tire pressure (100 psi).

May not matter to you, but i like the option of running road tires at road tire pressure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts