Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Haven't had any experience but THat's perty light. Ive built quite a few around the 1500 gram range with a 24/28 build. I9 CX hubs and Pacenti SL 25 rim using 14/15 gauge spokes and Alloy nipples.

THat rim must be really light, but it is cool that it is 28 wide. THe 14/16 gauge spokes are helping knock some of the weight off thier wheels also.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haven't had any experience but THat's perty light. Ive built quite a few around the 1500 gram range with a 24/28 build. I9 CX hubs and Pacenti SL 25 rim using 14/15 gauge spokes and Alloy nipples.

THat rim must be really light, but it is cool that it is 28 wide. THe 14/16 gauge spokes are helping knock some of the weight off thier wheels also.
Whats your thought on spoke gauge vs. spoke count? 28h rim with beefier spokes or 32h with thinner?

·
Registered
888 Posts
I don't have any experience with that set but I have their Wide Lightning wheelset on my mountain bike that doesn't seem too much different than the wheelset in your link. The wide lightnings are wider, 29mm inside width and a little heavier but they are the same depth. They hold up well to mtb riding and I'm no lightweight.

I called American Classic to find out if I could fit cyclocross/gravel tires on my wheels and their advice was that the inside width was too wide for anything less than a 1.9 mtb tire. If you're thinking of running these with gravel tires I might check with AM and find out what they recommend as minimum width for tires. I bet they're OK for 30mm and up tires but it might be good to make sure.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Whats your thought on spoke gauge vs. spoke count? 28h rim with beefier spokes or 32h with thinner?
32 light gauge spokes should be as good as 28 bigger spokes. I think the weight is just about the same. I'm sure that rim is light so more supported area is a good thing.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Check out November wheels. For that price they just built me a set of 32 spoke HED Belgium + centerlock disc wheels with White Industries hubs. If you don't need the disc brakes, it would probably be less expensive, and I am completely pleased with the quality and service.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the recommendation on November wheels. I sent them a note to see if they will ship to Canukistan.

Check out November wheels. For that price they just built me a set of 32 spoke HED Belgium + centerlock disc wheels with White Industries hubs. If you don't need the disc brakes, it would probably be less expensive, and I am completely pleased with the quality and service.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts