Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
My old Silca pumps gage is down on the base where I can't read it, so I just put an index mark on it with a sharpie. I pump the rear tire to the high side of the mark and the front tire to the low side of the pump and all's good. The lens is loose so I can just set the index mark at the desired range, depending on tire/wheel set.

I've got a Bicycle Gauges Archives - Accu-Gage by G.H. Meiser (ghmeiser.com) for when I want to get fussy. In fact, a stand alone air gage is probably a good thing to have if using more than one pump to inflate tires. Compare the pressure readings of the pumps to that of the gage and find the point spread for the pressure you want. 1 pump may read 50, the other 75 and the gage 60 for the same pressure. No sense pumping to the same reading on both pumps when they're wildly different pressures.
I got a zero to 15 gauge for my fatty. It was the only solution. I pump and check it once in a while. I’ll trail ride at 10 or better, beach is 5-7 depending on the sand and some snow, 1psi. Snow is a bitch until you dial in your tires, then you take off. It’s hard to even explain but it’s dramatic. I’ll put 3psi in the tires and head out and bleed it down until works. No pump is going to give me any decent feedback at those levels...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,639 Posts
My old Silca pumps gage is down on the base where I can't read it, so I just put an index mark on it with a sharpie. I pump the rear tire to the high side of the mark and the front tire to the low side of the pump and all's good. The lens is loose so I can just set the index mark at the desired range, depending on tire/wheel set.

I've got a Bicycle Gauges Archives - Accu-Gage by G.H. Meiser (ghmeiser.com) for when I want to get fussy. In fact, a stand alone air gage is probably a good thing to have if using more than one pump to inflate tires. Compare the pressure readings of the pumps to that of the gage and find the point spread for the pressure you want. 1 pump may read 50, the other 75 and the gage 60 for the same pressure. No sense pumping to the same reading on both pumps when they're wildly different pressures.

Guys, it's gauge, not gage..

·
Registered
20,797 Posts
Guys, it's gauge, not gage..
Gage is acceptable. It's quite common in the field of pressure gages/gauges.

Dwyer is one of the worlds largest Gage manufacturers.

GAGE OR GAUGE PRESSURE?
In the measurement and instrumentation literature and industry, the words gauge and gage can both be found to describe a pressure sensor or transmitter that measures relative to ambient pressure.

Penn State Engineering
Gage pressure (sometimes written as "gauge pressure") is measured relative to the local atmospheric pressure

·
Registered
132 Posts
My floor pump is 10-12 years old, on its last leg. But it has an adjustable dial with a red triangle for me to use as my “mark” of where the pressure needs to be. @velodog has a great suggestion, perhaps a white marker on the black dial to help where you need PSI for your various bikes.

I’ll also recommend a pancake compressor for your garage. It’s so nice to have, not for bikes, but for the cars/trucks and perhaps occasional air tool project. I’ve used mine for everything, and most recently seating tubeless tires on two of my bikes. It’s nice to have and it’s not really that pricey. I got one of the entry models from HD and am happy to have it, especially to keep the truck and car psi up where it needs to be.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts